PDA

View Full Version : Important message to people who ride their trikes in winter!!!!!

Auto_Demon
01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
i recently rode my 83 250r in winter and last night i went and took off my plastics and was shocked to see that my airbox (which has holes in it) was packed full of snow, i couldnt even see the airfilter!! lukcily none got in the carb but a warning to people who ride their trike in winter

harryredtrike
01-13-2011, 01:42 AM
even when they dont have holes in the lid, it gets in there.especially the fluffy powder snow.for sure keep an eye on your filter and air box while riding in the snow.

matt86200x
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
i recently rode my 83 250r in winter and last night i went and took off my plastics and was shocked to see that my airbox (which has holes in it) was packed full of snow, i couldnt even see the airfilter!! lukcily none got in the carb but a warning to people who ride their trike in winter

Where in Manitoba do you live? I am in the south end of winnipeg

Silverado
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Hmmm thanks for the warning. I will keep an eye out for that ! i never thought of it .

hang&rattle
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Go ahead and oil that foam filter. It does help to repel water off the filter. And make sure your drain is not plugged. Also run some type of Sta-bil gas treatment. The motor heats up the tank and then cools off quickly (or visa versa) and causes condensation. I run a little gas treatment (like heat), an octane boost and a touch of carb cleaner to keep it all in check. Winter may be tough on older trikes, but too much fun to not enjoy a nice snow ride at times.

ceaserthethird
01-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Good Tip's Guy's !

tri-Z ripper
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Nice very nice, i have another quick tip. My big machines are in my garage unheated, so when i want to go for a ride and have my machine start on the first or second kick when its 28 deg. outside i use a heat gun for about 3-4 min. putting it right on the cylinder making sure your not melting anything important above it or beside it when its just a bit warm give it a kick, never fails it allows the fuel to expand more being warm with a greater success rate every time!

rbaral233
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
we just got 2 feet of snow here in CT all day yesterday. took the 250es br out in it. drove it to the firehouse for the day! the roads were a mess all day so i drove it around town, on the streets, it was my driver for the day haha. now in CT that is illigal atvs are illigal but it was soo worth it sooo fun!

i didnt check the air box but i will today... i hope its ok!

Auto_Demon
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Where in Manitoba do you live? I am in the south end of winnipeg

i actualy live in a small town north of winnipeg called Stonewall

gomer202
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
i have a cottage 45 min outside of winnipeg 5 min outside of seven sisters
seddons corner is the best place to ride on earth i live in Bc but i come out there every year for a month

tri-Z ripper
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
we just got 2 feet of snow here in CT all day yesterday. took the 250es br out in it. drove it to the firehouse for the day! the roads were a mess all day so i drove it around town, on the streets, it was my driver for the day haha. now in CT that is illigal atvs are illigal but it was soo worth it sooo fun!

Where are you in CT?

1987350x
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm in West St Paul, not to far from you.
What other trikes do you have?

scooterroo
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
"OUTERWEARS"... excellent added protection for your airfilter. prevents sand, dirt, water from getting to the airfilter.

scooterroo
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM

lol, i live just north of albany, ny and we got the same storm. i was out riding the roads all day yesterday as well. funny thing is i stopped at the local convenient store to grab a drink and a trooper was sitting in the parking lot, saw me riding the road, and never said anything to me, and didnt bother following me as i headed down the road.

Auto_Demon
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm in West St Paul, not to far from you.
What other trikes do you have?

I only have 1983 honda atc 250r, my first and only trike, my next perchase is hopfully going to be a 1985 atc 250r:Bounce

JoeyStacks
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I have had this happen a few times. Its a real beater anyway so I just hot start it and change the plug every now and again... Im going out to pack the airbox full of snow right now

matt86200x
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
There are a few nice liquid r's in minneapolis craigslist. You should check them out not all that far of a drive
You interested in a 250sx? what kinda shape is your aircooled r in?

I only have 1983 honda atc 250r, my first and only trike, my next perchase is hopfully going to be a 1985 atc 250r:Bounce

D-dub
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Holy Manitobans! we could almost get a group ride goin!

Auto_Demon
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
There are a few nice liquid r's in minneapolis craigslist. You should check them out not all that far of a drive
You interested in a 250sx? what kinda shape is your aircooled r in?

Well its going for a resto soon, but its in decent shape, its lacking power though, any ideas on how to get more top speed out of it. right now its toping out at 70km/h