PDA

View Full Version : 185s Exhaust

79fordblake
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
I have been having problems with getting my 81 185s to run just exactly right ever since I got it. I thought it was carb problems but it may not be after what I noticed today. I have put a UNI filter on it. Engine has plenty of compression I usually have to use both arms to pull the rope. I realized today that the exhaust is almost stopped up completely. I can hold my hand in front of the exhaust and don't hardly feel anything. It still has the stock exhaust pipe.
Is the DG RCM exhaust available from Dennis-Kirk a direct fit like it says it is? Thanks.

CanadianThomas
01-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Before you go out and get a new pipe try this, I know it sounds strange but take it off and stick it in a fire. I got a YTM200ER 4 months ago and it was smoking bad but it was not oil or gas and it had a burnt smell to it like old wood chips or something. Well I posted here for help and a few dudes say camp fire it, probably loaded full of crap from a mouse or something like that and it turns out they were right.

Not so hot it melts but enough to clear it out. If it is clogged with something combustable, you will see the smoke before it gets red hot, side bonus was it only took a quick clean up and it was stripped and ready for paint after. Worth a try, bring your dogs and marshmallows.

swifty
01-11-2011, 01:45 AM
yeah the fire trick works wonders but the cobra or dg pipes sound awsome and yes they bolt right up no modifaction needed

79fordblake
01-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks I may try that for now. Later on I still need to get a new exhaust. The factory exhaust is lookin like crap and pitted and somebody tried to weld on a little chrome tip.

I also have the smoking problem after it gets warmed up good and the plug is clean and I never have to add oil to it.

79fordblake
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I took the muffler off the 185s today to see just how much the exhaust was holding it back. It was holding it back alot(its hard to hold my hand at the back of the header pipe it has so much compression). Also now it doesn't smoke and it idles alot better. I know I don't need to run it like this but I took it on a short ride. It doesn't feel like the same 185s now, it will fly and has the power I always thought it should have.

CrkdLtr
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I took the muffler off the 185s today to see just how much the exhaust was holding it back. It was holding it back alot(its hard to hold my hand at the back of the header pipe it has so much compression). Also now it doesn't smoke and it idles alot better. I know I don't need to run it like this but I took it on a short ride. It doesn't feel like the same 185s now, it will fly and has the power I always thought it should have.

Yeah it's amazing how quick they become when you open up the exhaust and put a uni-filter on it. :D I took off my old SS (like cobra) exhaust, but used the header pipe and welded on a tractor muffler. It was quieter than the SS but was still free flowing.

79fordblake
01-13-2011, 01:57 AM
I ordered DG exhaust from Dennis-Kirk. I have heard good things and bad things so hoping for the best. Has to be better than the rusted out and stopped up muffler I'm runnin now.