PDA

View Full Version : The story of my 85 200x, she's a screamer now!

CanadianThomas
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, for all who care to read it, here is the story of my now complete 200x.

I purchased it about 3 months ago (with a 350x headlight on it, looked very cool) and gave her a complete clean up, new oil, cleaned the carb and all, then proceeded to do a full inspection. I found the front brake res to be rotted out (the darn little window), the rear brakes had almost no stopping power, rear sprocket a bit loose on mount, 1 rear chain adjuster poorly welded, possible weak spot in bottom of tank and some other minor crap. The guy who sold it to me had some motor work done he had said. New piston, bore and so on and included the receipts. I got to looking at them and noticed the piston was a 12:1 comp. So I called him and sure enough he also had a xr200 cam installed, verified by the shop, I called and they did valve springs and so on as well. So i fixed up the brakes, new front master and pads, cleaned up rear calliper and it was good to stop again. Got a new sprocket and mount on the back. Went for a ride and the bad chain adjuster brakes. Limp home, replace and try again, the head pipe rots off at the motor. So I get that replaced with a Bassani pipe bought here, opens it up nice but now I have to rejet. I get it dialled up and go for a rip on the pond and it's very nice. Then my full Bassani exhaust shows up, i rejet again and have fun.trailproThen my new 28mm carb shows up, so I rejet it again and get it dialled in and now she screams. Then I crashed it into my friend out on the ice (blind spot, no fault) and killed the front end. So I put on a 83 250r front end from another buddy and now I am finished. 3 months in and it feels like this Trike and I have been through years together, we are already very well acquainted.

So here is the rundown on my Little Thumper Trike. She runs on a mix of pump premium and race gas but it's well worth it. (well it has had octane boost in it as well but we won't speak of it here)

1985 Honda ATC 200x

12:1 Wiesco piston :naughty:
Xr200 cam :cool:
Valve springs etc
Bassani exhaust :drool:
28mm Mikuni carb, old school 80's :w00t:
PK racing intake (it was spotted so i'll list it.) :drool:
Rebuilt brakes
83 250r front end w/fender :Bounce
Maier rear plastics
Handlebars from a 2007 Kawasaki, nice and low.
85 350x headlight. :idea:

Thanks for reading, Be Cool.

Thomas, (I'll update with nice close ups of the parts installed in a couple days when my son is with his grandma.)

harryredtrike
01-09-2011, 11:02 PM
sounds like she'll scream.i like the headlight upgrade too.have fun on her.

sx250heath
01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I plan similar mods for my newly acquired 200X. I have lots of tight trails and my 81 250R can be hard to handle at times. My 200X has a XR piston too. Its a blast right now but here are plans in order.1)Get new tires. The ones on now are just about shot. 2)Fix the brakes (it has none at the moment) I need a caliper and a few other parts. 3) Once its warmer to buy a full pipe and a cam.4)Paint the frame and swing arm and buy new plastics. Here is a picture of it now.113499

k00leo
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
cool read, looks like you have put a lot of time and effort into that 200x.

what about a video of it running?

shortline10
01-10-2011, 09:39 AM
I bet that 28mm mikuni really woke it up LOL . Nice PK racing intake .

CanadianThomas
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys.

sounds like she'll scream.i like the headlight upgrade too.have fun on her.

I get a lot of people digging the headlight. Much better I think.

I plan similar mods for my newly acquired 200X. I have lots of tight trails and my 81 250R can be hard to handle at times. My 200X has a XR piston too. Its a blast right now but here are plans in order.1)Get new tires. The ones on now are just about shot. 2)Fix the brakes (it has none at the moment) I need a caliper and a few other parts. 3) Once its warmer to buy a full pipe and a cam.4)Paint the frame and swing arm and buy new plastics.

I'd recommend going with new brake parts. 85CR front callipers for your rear's, and 85KX rear callipers for your front's. New is way better, I'm doing it before spring.

cool read, looks like you have put a lot of time and effort into that 200x.

what about a video of it running?

Video this week, just need a day without my son, he's going to spend a few days with Grandma this week so….

I bet that 28mm mikuni really woke it up LOL . Nice PK racing intake .

Good eye on the PK intake, yes it made a world of difference. Matched up to the Bassani it's amazing now.

Be Cool.
Thomas.