PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions before I set it on fire.

99gsxr750
01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
My T-3 (with a KX ignition) keeps blowing the larger coil on the stator. So far I've been through 3 in the past year to year and a half. The first two were Electrosport coils and this last one is a Ricky coil. Are aftermarket coils complete junk or is it possible that something else is wrong?

Also, I've noticed some moisture on the inside of the stator cover even though I silconed it to the motor. Does water make it throught the rubber gromet for the stator wires?

dcreel
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Are you buying a Tecate coil or a KX coil? I'm not sure if the 2 will work together with the KX ignition.

honda200x1987
01-08-2011, 05:44 PM
It seems to me moisture is getting inside your stator cover causing a "short" and destroying your stator coils. Any moisture can cause rust ,etc and loosing good spark. I recommend never to use "silicone for gaskets rather use an OEM or aftermarket gasket and inspect or replace the rubber grommet for your stator wires also.. It is most apparant this is the problem ,for sure it does contribute but it could be the type of coil you are using as dcreel stated.

99gsxr750
01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Are you buying a Tecate coil or a KX coil? I'm not sure if the 2 will work together with the KX ignition.

All of the replacement coils have been KX (using KX stator, kx flywheel, kx cdi). In fact the Electrosports were the entire stator. After blowing two of them I got frustrated and just ordered KX coils from Ricky Stator.

It seems to me moisture is getting inside your stator cover causing a "short" and destroying your stator coils. Any moisture can cause rust ,etc and loosing good spark. I recommend never to use "silicone for gaskets rather use an OEM or aftermarket gasket and inspect or replace the rubber grommet for your stator wires also.. It is most apparant this is the problem ,for sure it does contribute but it could be the type of coil you are using as dcreel stated.

The gromet is new. Why would you use a stock gasket over the rtv? I figured the rtv would seal better.

dcreel
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Can you tell by looking at the bad coils where the failure might have originated from? Burn marks or anything like that? Is your wiring in good condition? Possibly a short somewhere?

bcredneck
01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
put a drain plug in the bottom so you can dry it out after a wet ride water can kill em quick

99gsxr750
01-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Can you tell by looking at the bad coils where the failure might have originated from? Burn marks or anything like that? Is your wiring in good condition? Possibly a short somewhere?

The coils look fine, other than a little dirty/dusty. The wiring appears to be good, no shorts or bare wires. I would think if there was a short it would take out the coils rather quickly, not 4-6 months later.

put a drain plug in the bottom so you can dry it out after a wet ride water can kill em quick

How's the moisture getting in there? When I pulled the cover, there wasn't any other than what look like condesation on the inside of the cover.

So far I haven't had problems with the pick up coil, just the large coil.

vanaman
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Id coat everything with dielctric grease and try to seal and make good connections.

Tecate 50
01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Had the same problem with the KX stuff and my PVL. And all these after market stators are complete junk IMO. Water is the killer, and nearly impossible to to stop from getting in there. This is what I did to prevent the water as best as I could....fresh stator cover gasket with a light coating of anarobic grease, silicone the rubber plug to the inner case side only, so when you pop off the stator cover it doesnt pull out the rubber plug. I drilled and tapped a nipple on the top of the stator cover and connected a rubber hose running up the frame to help with the heat and for the water to evaporate. After I had all these troubles....i always pop the stator cover off after washing my machine to dry it out.

honda200x1987
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Any trained mechanic will tell you to never use silicone in repcacement for gaskets. Always use a OEM or aftermarlet gasket. Silicone is a temoprary fix and can cause more harm than good. Silinone breaks apart, it also can and will get into your engine, stopping up oil ports, etc. It will seal for a short time only and that is why you have condesation in your stator cover. You need a good air tight seal, romove all silicone and old gasket then clean and dry all componets. Replace a new stator gasket and make sure your stator wire rubber is soft and unbroken. You "may" not have to replace your stator coil again, it could be that your componets are wet, DRY them and make sure no wires are touching the casing & grounding out , they rarely go bad that quickly.

99gsxr750
01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Any trained mechanic will tell you to never use silicone in repcacement for gaskets. Always use a OEM or aftermarlet gasket. Silicone is a temoprary fix and can cause more harm than good. Silinone breaks apart, it also can and will get into your engine, stopping up oil ports, etc. It will seal for a short time only and that is why you have condesation in your stator cover. You need a good air tight seal, romove all silicone and old gasket then clean and dry all componets. Replace a new stator gasket and make sure your stator wire rubber is soft and unbroken. You "may" not have to replace your stator coil again, it could be that your componets are wet, DRY them and make sure no wires are touching the casing & grounding out , they rarely go bad that quickly.

I'm sure it was sealed rather tight as I had to pry it off with a screw driver.
As for wet parts, it was just the cover (again, looked more like condensation). The coils and flywheel were dry.
I checked the resistence of the coil and it's 220 - Ricky specifies 350-390, so I'm sure it will need to be replaced.

Xpress
01-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Any trained mechanic will tell you to never use silicone in repcacement for gaskets. Always use a OEM or aftermarlet gasket.

I have not had a mechanic tell me this yet, and they are highly reputable mechanics. Infact, one of them claims the silicone is better than the gaskets for his own reasons.

If the silicone didn't work, then there would be all kinds of lawsuits from peoples engines leaking and whatnot, and it would not be marketed for engines.

hang&rattle
01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
If you do set it a-fire, please get post the video.

Xpress
01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
if you're going to set it on fire, just give it to me!

Dirtcrasher
01-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Just set it on fire, 25% of our topics are about Tecate stators/ignitions - apparently THEY SUK! Use race gas (That way it won't ping) and a bar-b-que lighter :D

When it's done cooking, toss it off a big cliff. Then buy a Honda to get you by until you can buy a TPC trike :D

350XJEDI
01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
yup a honda will solve your prob never had any trouble like that with the 84 250r ",lol "'good luck"

99gsxr750
01-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Had the same problem with the KX stuff and my PVL. And all these after market stators are complete junk IMO. Water is the killer, and nearly impossible to to stop from getting in there. This is what I did to prevent the water as best as I could....fresh stator cover gasket with a light coating of anarobic grease, silicone the rubber plug to the inner case side only, so when you pop off the stator cover it doesnt pull out the rubber plug. I drilled and tapped a nipple on the top of the stator cover and connected a rubber hose running up the frame to help with the heat and for the water to evaporate. After I had all these troubles....i always pop the stator cover off after washing my machine to dry it out.

Damn, I'd hate to drop $400 on a PVL only to have it crap out. What ignition are you using now?

Thorpe
01-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Any trained mechanic will tell you to never use silicone in repcacement for gaskets. Always use a OEM or aftermarlet gasket.

Ever put a intake manifold on a SBC? Silicone has its place...

Tecate 50
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I was using the KX set up (flywheel/cdi/stator). Problem there was, I could never find a good OEM KX stator, so I had to try the aftermarkets, and they always crapped out. I then went with the PVL set up and only had one problem with it once. As I stated on the last post, I washed my trike and got water inside the stator cover. It burned out the PVL system.....thank the lord PVL honored the one year warranty, and sent me a new one. Since then using the methods I stated above, have never had a problem. I wouldn't run anything else at this point.....the system is very easy to install, and the timing can be fined tuned to your specific needs. As far as the silicone debate goes, just silicone the rubber plug to the inner case and around the gap where the wiring goes threw the rubber plug. It is impossible for silicone to get into the internals of the motor as the stator location isnt connected to anything internally.

Tecate 50
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Ever put a intake manifold on a SBC?

You hit the nail right on the head....!