PDA

View Full Version : quick engine rebuild question

yooperman
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm rebuilding my motor on my 85 350x. Dirt crasher is going to be fixing my head on it. I'm also going to do rings since its torn down didn't smoke a bit and lots of compression still. The cylinder looks really good, no scuffs, scratches, or grooves in it. it has been a long time since I've. Done rings on a motor so my question is should I still hone the cylinder or not? Does it need to be done? Or does it have to be done every time you replace piston rings? So any feed back would be appreciated

camoweasel
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, anytime you use new rings, its a standard practice to hone your cylinder. BUT use caution when thinking your bore is okay. Alot of times, it takes proper tools to really tell if your cylinder has a true bore and is not ovaled.

oscarmayer
01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
^+1 you need to get a honer at the local aturo parts store and make sure you push it in and out of the cyclinder when doing the honing. your basucally jsut breaking the blaze and removing old ring track marks is all.

200XMichigan
01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
If you are sending the head to DC you might just want to send the cylinder as well and have him measure it. You have to hone it for the rings to seat but on something like the 350X I would want to make sure it is perfect. I have honed without measuring on 90's, but the 350X makes a lot of power and its parts are expensive and discontinued. The cylinder could be worn without any visible signs of it and need to be bored. If you are getting the head professionally done, I would want to make sure the cylinder is perfect too, in the end you'll be a lot happier.

You should have seen Michigan a couple days ago, everything melted. I had a January mud run in my driveway. Good luck with the 350X.