PDA

View Full Version : What is more stable, Stock Honda 250R or Yamaha Tri-Z 250?

2Tim215
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Just wondering which of the two would be considered more stable for a new two stroke rider. Also anyone know the weight capacity for either one? Last, which one is easier to find parts for, stock and aftermarket? Appreciate the help and any replies!

200XMichigan
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm going to chime in, and bump this up.....I'm not the expert but the 250R seems to have better parts availability than the Yamaha. That being said you'll never know what you will find on e-bay, locally, the junk yard...I almost didn't get my YT175 because parts are harder to find, but I have a stock pile now, couldn't be happier that I bought the trike. Soon I'll be picking up a Tri-Z. And it seems the more people that buy them to fix and restore the more aftermarket suppliers will start making the parts. Every trike has some discontinued parts but if you see either one and its a good deal I'd say grab it.

bcredneck
01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
honda trike parts are usualy easyer to find and cheaper

Red Rider
01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Based on what I read in the magazines back in the day, in stock form, the 250R was a little more stable than the Tri-Z. Mainly, this was due to a better choice of rear tires on Honda's part. In '85, the Tri-Z came with balloon style rear tires on 8" diameter rims. In '86, Yamaha increased the rear rim diameter to 9" & wrapped them with a lower-profile tire, but they were still a bit balloony when compared to the 250R's tires. Fast forward 25+ years, and you have a wide range of tire/wheel choices to improve the stability of the Tri-Z. I agree with the posts above that it will be easier to find parts for the 250R. Between the ATC & TRX 250R's, Honda used the same engine, with minor changes, for 5 years. A lot of the chassis parts are interchangeable too.

clutchcargo
01-06-2011, 05:17 AM
I have an 85 250r and a Tri-z. I find the Tri-z easier to throw around and I'm more aggressive on it. The honda is more reliable and has better parts availability. The 250r is more comfy to ride though.

TatTooL23
01-06-2011, 09:13 AM
All the reports always stated that the 250R was more stable. It did have far better tires and was better for cornering and jumping and just overall riding conditions. It's one of hondas big things and especially with the 250R that u could just get on it and go and feel comfortable. Parts r FAR more abundant. There r more aftermarket parts out there too. It's not that the Tri-Z is bad but Honda just really got it right with the 250R and that's y it has the name and reputation and is still a sought after and competitive machine even today.

2Tim215
01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks, appreciate all the info! Looks like I'll go with a 250R then. Are the bolt patterns the same for the 200X, 250R, and 350X by any chance?

2hundredx
01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
For the 81-84 airfoolers they are the same but the 85-86 250r they are different

tecat-z
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Tri-z axles are abundant and cheap due to them being the same as any Banshee. Never a concern getting a WIDE axle for them. So, if stability is a concern it shouldn't be. They will be cheaper than a 250r. Esp a 85R. Tri-z fuel pumps are very reliable and much of the bad rep has been exagerated. Oem diaphrams are still availiable and cheap. It should be considered maintanance to replace it when ever an unknown Tri-z has been purchased. Again a very fast and easy replacement. Remember sleds used this type of pump for decades in harsh frigid conditions. Cheap alm extended hubs are availiable for the Tri-z if a replacement axle is not desired. A tri-z rear end is probably the least expensive of all of the fast 3wheelers to upgrade. Swingarms will cost big money regardless of machine so thats a wash.

jmax857
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
anyone who owns a honda is going to say the honda is better, or vise versa with the yamaha. you can set up either bike to be more or less stable with proper tires, rims, suspension setup, axle widths, whatever. buy which ever one you find you like more, and go from there, and set it up the way you like to ride. as far as the yamaha having the tank under the seat, and the front end being too light. that theory works great in a straight line, but in a corner the bike with a lower center of gravity turns quicker and is more stable.