PDA

View Full Version : Death rev!!!!!/kill switch! Please help!!!!!

feo_nuts
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Hello all! Yesterday I experienced a death rev. I done some readin up on it here on the site and dubbed the name death rev from you guys cuz thats exactly what it is! Here is the scenario. It was a nice day, about 60 here. So I got out the ole 250r and took it for a few block spin. Ok maybe 6 blocks. Then I'm zoomin around in my yard for a bit. I have a leak, which I am thinking it is the sprocket seal. So I drive to the carwash, wich is right down the alley from me. Seriously like a half a block away.They are wasing down the lot when I get there, (hey sounds like useless info but I want to be thorough) I pull in the stall and leave it runnin. I walk out of the stall to get coins and she revs WOT! I bolted around the corner cuz I figured someone was trying to steal her and I was gonna shoot his ass dead! Well when I rounded the corner nobody was there! I hopped on tried the kill switch and nothing! So I had to pop the plug wire. Waited a couple of seconds and kick started it and she ran fine. I sped outta there to get home to see what was up! I read posts on here stating that 2 strokes will do that when low on fuel, and maybe that there was carbon that was actually igniting the cylinder. I was looking last night and I would guess I have about 1.0-1.5 gallons of fuel in my tank. So after getting back home and almost passing out in my front yard, I started to read up. So I ask you all, HELP ME please :)) lol

buster-717
12-31-2010, 09:30 AM
im glad im not the only one that happen to, only i was on my kx500 in the woods. needles to say i sold it that week.

200XMichigan
12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Not that it answers your question totally but the carwash isn't good for any of your seals. Its really high pressure, can damage the seals. Once you get the leak taken care of wash it with the garden hose.

fabiodriven
12-31-2010, 09:58 AM
feo, you must have either had some fuel starvation or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Buster, that doesn't seem like all that much reason to sell your bike but whatever! :lol:

200X Michigan, the car wash will not damage the seals on the engine.

200XMichigan
12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/motorcycle_detailing/index.html

"We prefer a good nozzle on a hose to a pressure washer. If you use a pressure washer, do so with care. The pressure can blast water past seals. Bikes that have been pressure-washed usually have rusty axles, for example, because the water has squirted past the wheel-bearing seals. Keep pressure sprays away from hydraulic brake and clutch components to avoid contaminating the fluid. Pressure spray should also be kept off of electrical parts, instruments, gas caps and chains. The list of parts you need to avoid is so long that pressure washers don't really make sense. Some sources even say they damage the paint."

There is enough pressure it can and will push water past the seals. Car washes can be between 1200-1800 psi. The seal on our trikes aren't meant for that.

fabiodriven
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
If you blast a pressure washer directly into a seal enough to get water through it then you deserve water in your engine. However, it will not damage the seal which is what you said.

3wheelrider
12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Had that happen to me many times!- about 20+ years ago,- Used to borrow my older neighbors 83' 250r -and it would go into the deathrev suddenly while riding many times. Kill switch wouldnt work also when it happend. Had to stop, get off and choke it as fast as possible!!!. Its heart stopping to hear that thing revvin up I like that I know. Pretty damn scary when your about 13-14 & less than 100 lbs.!!! Never knew why it would happen then-but I would just wait a few minutes to catch my breath,-change the plug and it was good again for a while ha-ha.____ Anyway,-I would 1st check the intake manifold, carb boot,-etc.for leak(sucking in air somewhere) , fuel tank vent , fuel strainer, Or combustion chamber is getting too hot-find out why! What sparkplug are you using anyway? And what year 250r?

feo_nuts
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
First off this thread wasn't about car wash use or garden hose use. Stop polluting it with useless comments. Now as for the death rev, I am not to sure! I had the chit scared outta me so much that I didn't have much time to investigate. It isn't hooked to the airbox correctly and has a mikuni carb. I got it cheap cause I had to heli coil the head cuz the studs was spinning. I have done numeres checks on it such as vacuum gauge, lighty spraying starting fluid around it to see if it woild rev up or down, I've done 7 compression checks at various stages. Some at cold startup, so,e at warm, some after a long run and they all average to 155psi which sounds great to me! So with all that being said I might take the carb out and clean it up a bit. I still just don't know!

dcreel
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
This is going to sound stupid and I apologize in advance but was your petcock turned on? Have you checked to see if you have a blockage of some sort at the petcock? I used to ride with a guy that had an 81 250R that I took for a ride, it did the death rev thing and I had forgotten to turn the petcock on. Turned it on and it fixed it. Just a thought.

200XMichigan
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
First off this thread wasn't about car wash use or garden hose use. Stop polluting it with useless comments. Now as for the death rev, I am not to sure! I had the chit scared outta me so much that I didn't have much time to investigate. It isn't hooked to the airbox correctly and has a mikuni carb. I got it cheap cause I had to heli coil the head cuz the studs was spinning. I have done numeres checks on it such as vacuum gauge, lighty spraying starting fluid around it to see if it woild rev up or down, I've done 7 compression checks at various stages. Some at cold startup, so,e at warm, some after a long run and they all average to 155psi which sounds great to me! So with all that being said I might take the carb out and clean it up a bit. I still just don't know!

They weren't useless comments, you said you have a suspected leak around the sprocket seal and you were at the car wash. That's a bad idea. If you already have a leak its going to possibly damage the seal or get water in your engine. But its your machine, sorry for my concern. Good luck since you still don't have it figured out.

feo_nuts
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Ya they was! I suspected a leak yes but that wasn't what this post was about. How would a sprocket seal leak lead to a death rev? If you can tll me that then I will digress and render your comment usefull! As of for now its still bovine fecal matter!

fabiodriven
12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/Setrin/Other/Forum/noob1nw8fp5.jpg

bcredneck
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
my buddy did that to his 250 r after i told him he couldent use a 350x carb and he did anyway differents is it was a true death rev now he needs a top end

Xpress
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Sounds to me like you have an air leak somewhere.

feo_nuts
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
A pussy lookin up to a noob! How typical :)

Kevin Hoettel
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
on my cousins blaster this would happen all the time, the floats in the carb were getting stuck. if we just tapped the carb with like a stick it would loosen up for more ridding. i would just clean the carb up.

fabiodriven
12-31-2010, 03:51 PM
A pussy lookin up to a noob! How typical :)

Touche'. :D

Flossyb20
12-31-2010, 09:48 PM
1 of 2 things are happening here - too much air or not enough fuel. First thing to do is check the case for leaks...make sure you head is torqued down correctly...that's where most of them start leaking. If you're satisfied you have no leaks in the case, then you have a fuel issue. Take the carb off and give it a good cleaning, pay special attention to the idle jet, make sure all the little passages are clear. if it's clogged up, it will do exactly what you mentioned, and will begin to stick at WOT. while the carb is off, check fuel flow from the tank (just turn the petcock on). That should take care of it.... and kudos to you for keeping you're trike clean, however you do it!!

portland250r
12-31-2010, 09:56 PM
i have that same problem, its always gas on my trike. when i hit the power switch it didnt do nothin but i have never pulled the spark cover it would usually die before i got it pulled. first time it did it i forgot to turn the gas back on after getting a drink. then the next two times there was no fuel.

three_wheelin45
12-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Yea My blaster used to do the same thing, but atleast urs was in neutral when it happends :o, I had it pinned on my road and I let off the gas to slow down and then the death rev hit and I pressed the kill switch anf notheing. Thats when i started down shifting I didnt even use the damn clutch I was so scarred( I ran out of gas that time). But the second time I was about a mile from my house and I put it in neutral and got off to take a leak and I heard it, so I ran over there and tried to kill it and notheing. Just put it in gear and dumbed the clutch and it died. Then the push home cause it wouldnt crank :lol:

Erics350x
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Clean the carb and petcock. If it was an air leak it would still be doing it. BTW the next time that happens to anyone, old the throttle wide open and it will die right away.

feo_nuts
01-01-2011, 02:20 AM
So thats it!? 12 hours later and no response! I thought you all had more in yoU! :P

feo_nuts
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Ok im a pure trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro! I was antagonizing you all and my stupids ass didn't click next to read page 2! Man am I even deemed smart enough to own such a good trike! Thanks to all for the info. He dude I bought it from said it sat for 2 years. I did put all fresh gas& fluids in it when I got it. Rotten/old gas reaks HAVOC! I think I will disassemble the carb and clean her up real good. Prolly get a new filter and clean the petcock too. I like calling it the gass valve cuz no man should have a petcock! Lol! Thanks to all that has responded! Would it be stupid to maybe look for an aftermarket electric fan to asist with cooling, or is tha irrelevant to the fact? From what I gather this is a fuel (lean) condition!

fabiodriven
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Would it be stupid to maybe look for an aftermarket electric fan to asist with cooling, or is tha irrelevant to the fact? From what I gather this is a fuel (lean) condition!

A fan isn't going to do anything for that machine and yes, this is a lean condition.