PDA

View Full Version : Help with 185 atc

atc200e
12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Hey Guys I have a question. I bought a 185(1980) from a guy that said it smokes. I just never got around to rebuilding. It smokes like a freight train. What would be my best bet, Should I part it out or should I try to sell it whole? Thanks

x

TheRealFatShady
12-29-2010, 01:25 PM
You could try either, but don't expect a heavily smoking machine to sell for much. Even if the rest is in great shape.

IF the rest is nice looking, it may be worth it to get new rings or even a new piston set. I've seen the piston/rings together for like $60 on eBay new.

Lil Earl
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
if you dont want to rebuild the motor, you could try getting new rings and see what that does before you make your mind up totally, it is not very expensive and does take some work, but is not nearly the worst project you can get into. see what happens after that before you try to sell it or part it out. but i thought about parting out one of my trikes but then you have to think about all the stuff you will have sitting around before it all sells

atc200e
12-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I dont know how to do either of those things though. How much should I try if i sell it?

Xpress
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Get yourself a shop manual and dig in! It's not as daunting as some people may think, infact, if you can loosen nuts and bolts, then you're already on your way to rebuilding it. For the average person, it might take you a couple of weeks to rebuild it, and that's taking your time, making sure you do everything right and putting the pieces and parts in marked places so you know where to put them afterwards.

If it smokes then it needs new rings at the very least, and for me, that would take about 4-5 hours of work to disassemble the topend, install the new rings, and then re-assemble with new gaskets (can't stress it enough- get a new gasket kit!!), and yes I tend to power through things to get them done ;)

atc200e
12-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Well Ive decided I dont want it. Someone make me an offer.

Lil Earl
12-30-2010, 01:16 AM
got any pictures of it?

atc200e
12-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Im out of town. I will get some when I get back. It has a red plastic tank.