PDA

View Full Version : 86 200X Odd Shifting Problem

Chazz of Blades
12-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Make this, make sense. I can shift into first no problem and go, but if I am moving much at all I can't shift into second, the shift lever just wont go any farther up.

But If I come to a near stop in first, I can shift into second and on.

1986 200x, obviously been rode hard by previous owners.

bugler30
12-28-2010, 06:05 AM
sounds like a bent shift fork from slamming gears. You'll need to split the case and repair/replace the affected shift forks. On the bright side I have a top end gasket set for that motor ;)

And I would recommend a good manual, I don't know about you but trannies are too complicated for me to just wing it. Might as well hone your cylinder and do rings and piston if needed.

Chazz of Blades
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I know ill at least need rings for it. But alright, how much would replacing the shifting fork run me?

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Lets not jump to "shift fork" problems. I've had many BEAT miles on 86/87 200X trikes with few issues.

They use a different shift style than many other years, one part is prone to breaking and I've seen the spring inside fall off.

Take off the clutch cover, have a buddie spin the wheels while shifting it and watch whats happening. The issue is most likely under the right cover.

I've split 50 or more cases and found maybe 1 bent shift fork in a 2 stroke dirtbike. Don't panic yet.................

bugler30
12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
well that would be cool, if thats the only problem and you don't have to split the case. let me know if you want that gasket set :)

Chazz of Blades
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh I'll probably take the gasket set if it'll fit an 86, the valve cover leaks around the edges anyway.

bugler30
12-29-2010, 02:49 AM
yep, its for an 86/87 200x. PM me when your ready for it, $20 shipped. only about a buck cheaper than ebay, but you'd be helping me out :D

Chazz of Blades
12-29-2010, 03:31 AM
I need to take it apart first of course, when I do I'll give you a holler.

bugler30
12-29-2010, 03:43 AM
determine if you're going to have to split the case or if it is what DC said. If you end up having to split the case you would want to buy a full engine gasket set not just the top end. Not that I wouldn't love to get rid of what I have, but I wouldn't want to only sell you half of what you need when you can't really buy the other half by itself. Once you know what you need you can order the gaskets before you tear it apart to minimize down time cause it sounds like its still ridable for the time being.

:beer

Chazz of Blades
12-29-2010, 04:19 AM
For the time being it is, just smoking like a fool, and only in first, but good god the power. Something has been done to this thing, and I am to find out what.

For a 200x, with low compression, smoking like a trucker, it has enough power to lift the front tire high by itself in first, thats with no jerking upward or anything. I don't think thats natural.

obijuan
12-29-2010, 11:31 PM
99% positive mine is stock. mine is very powerful and at WOT launch it will lift the front tire in first and second. i have to really lean forward. its awesome.

Chazz of Blades
12-30-2010, 03:37 AM
]Ok, so you'd need to take the kicker off to get the crankcase off, right?

WRONG!

Some dickweed decided that he would take the perfectly good, gripping, working, kicker on this 200x and WELD IT TO THE SHAFT. I managed to ratchet the pinch bolt out, and hammered, pulled, kicked, cryed, cussed, yelled, pryed, everything. It aint coming off. I need a dremel which I don't have. The only thing about it that rotates is the kick lever itself, and it can be pulled straight out, because if you pin it, then you cant use the kicker.

SONOFAtrailpro!!!!!

NINJA
12-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Looks like a job for a 4.5" Harbor Freight grinder and a cutting disk. Sorry son, you're going to need to find an eBay kickstarter assembly and shaft. The shifting issue almost sounds like the shifter is hitting the left crankcase cover whilst you're trying to upshift, which can be solved by removing the shift lever and remounting it one notch lower.

bugler30
12-30-2010, 05:06 AM
if you can just cut the welds and salvage the shaft that would be less headache. if the shaft is salvagable, meaning the splines aren't stripped. I've also got a 200x kick starter, its for a 1st gen but I think they're close to the same if not the same.

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I have 86 shafts I'll sell; I only run the larger 87 shaft but your case has to be bored out and a different oil seal used.

87 shafts with a decomp cable do not snap.

That, "unfortunately" is some of the most horrible welding I've seen. Your gonna have to do allot of grinding to get the kicker off. The diameter of the 86 kicker and shaft are too small and most guys don't have the decomp cable hooked up or set up correctly. Hence the snapping shafts and hacks to get it running again.

The 86/87 motor is pretty quick even in stock form. If they tossed on a different set of sprockets it may have even more low end with a sacrifice of WOT speed.....

Chazz of Blades
12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I might just get a shaft dirtcrasher. Funds will have to be arranged though.

bugler30
12-30-2010, 05:37 PM
That, "unfortunately" is some of the most horrible welding I've seen.

then you haven't seen my cousin's welding with his 115v flux core mig welder :lol:

Chazz of Blades
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
And it's not the shifter hitting anything.

Fun fact: After I attempted to remove the clutch cover, after getting advice that the shifter shaft and gear might come out with it, and putting it back on, I now have almost no power at all in 1st around half throttle.

Without thinking I took off the left hand cover where the shifter is, with the stator coil and flywheel, put it back on after siliconing it, I may have messed the timing up though, would that explain it?

Chazz of Blades
12-31-2010, 09:03 PM
I think I've figured it out. And I'm not happy about it.

I took it out on the road today(dirt of course), and managed to get into 3rd and 4th, by quickly forcing it to skip second. It's a royal pain getting it to skip though, and it really prone to dying in the process.

I'm afraid I have a broke second gear, but when yard riding it a few days ago, I could have SWORE I managed to get into second, you'd think you'd notice going from 1st to 3rd, right?