PDA

View Full Version : Float Woes

Frankencelery
12-28-2010, 01:55 AM
My KLT110 started spewing gas out the overflow on Thanksgiving, so I pulled the gas line and plugged it. (The petcock doesn't completely shut off the flow.) Today I finally got to it and took it apart. I found gunk stuck to the sides of the fuel inlet valve, carefully cleaned it out and put it all back together. Easy fix. Fifteen seconds later, gas was running out the overflow. No swear words were uttered yet. Took it apart again, and moved the tang on the float. Back together. No gas at all in the bowl. Apart. Moved tang. Back Together. Overflow. Apart. Moved Tang. Dry Bowl.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Right about then is where the wife comes out and asks why it's taking so long.

I gave it up for the night. I'm going to blame it on this cheap Chinese aftermarket carb I put on there a couple years ago, rather than my ham-handed float adjustment skills.

Frankencelery
12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, I got back out there to look at it today, and although I was sort of kidding, it turns out I was right. The inside of the brass fuel inlet chamber was not smooth, and the valve was getting stuck, usually in the closed position. It looks like it was worn along one side, and I'm guessing that the valve body gets a little crooked in there and jams.

This carb lasted only about 2 years. So much for Sheng Wey knockoffs. Having said that, the machine did run well until just recently, so I really shouldn't complain too much. When I bought it, there was no such thing as a carb kit for the KLT110, but suddenly there's one available on Ebay, so I bought it. I've put the original OEM Keihin carb back on and will rebuild when the kit gets here.

atv innovations
12-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Take a cue tip cut one end off and put it in a drill . Put a dab of chrome polish on it and run it down in the float needle seat. This will clean it up nice. Depending on how bad the needle is you can take a piece of 400 or 600 grit sand paper and "lightly" sand the edges of the needle body.This works most of the time todays gas is bad for the power sports industry and raises cane with carbs. What ever you do don't be bending up the float arm in the future unless you know the right way to set it down the road it will just cause you more problems