PDA

View Full Version : 83 ATC 200E Performance rebuild.

theoutlaw
12-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I was just wanting suggestions on what to use for parts to get a little more performance outa 200E. I don't need it to run like a race trike. Just a little more power to keep up with my cousins big bear 250 and 350. It already has a cobra exhaust. My plan was a mild cam like the megacycle stage 1 or maybe stage 2. A weiseco 10:1 piston and of course the matching valve springs for the cam. I was also thinking of regearing it for a little more top speed. So what are your guys opinions?

atc200e
12-28-2010, 01:05 AM
K&N airfilter maybe? Im sure youve already rejetted the carb. What size tires? Stock size?

TurboTacoma
12-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Sounds pretty good! I just did a small cam, a 200x stock piston, port/polish head, lap the valve in, new top end and gaskets, dg exhaust, uni airfilter, and rejet the carb. Feels stronger with good bottom end and mid range. The cam helped give it some topend.

oscarmayer
12-28-2010, 08:51 AM
i build a really aweosme 200e 82 model. I spent about $900 in parts and machining on the top end alone.

Here's what I recommend.
weisco 12:1 piston (i recommend 1mm overbore to ensure you get a nice clean bore/hone job to piston specs)
web stage3 cam
web welded rockers
web 1mm larger intake and exhaust valves
web performance springs with titanium retainers
CNC valve seat redesign and porting work
CNC valve job with custom flow designs
CNC porting work to bowl area and hand port matching to gasket professionally done professional
26mm carb if using stock ar box and air system otherwise look at a 28mm. (you can find cheap mikuni carbs on ebay for around $40 shipped new)
performance clutch and clutch springs
complete oil seal replacement
tear down cleaning and re-assembly of sub-trans gearbox (replace front sprocket)
replace rear sprocket
new chain

with you doing all the work, the cost of all this is around $1000-$1100 but well worth it.
I took mine 1 step furtehr. I looked into having my stocker front forks rebuilt and there were nearly no parts around just a coule of seals. Finding a good fronk fork set was nearly impossible that did not need a decent rebuild, so I but the front next off my bike, cut the 250SX neck off and welded it onto my frame with a bunch of extra supports. i also pushed the angle of the front wheel out about 2.5-3" from where it was sitting to the frame in stock form. I seapped out the rear hubs and wheels and tires for one that you normally run on a 200x and put a 200s front tire on the 250sx front rim. All i can say is WOW! this is how the 200E should have been. very nice riding and lots of good travel, but still able to work.

good luck with your build. Building a 200e is awesome as you get electric start and pull as a backup. you get semi-auto so shifting is easier. (very important for trail riding as manual clutching on trail and hill riding can be difficult under heavy loaded terrains and even dangerious if stalled).

now if that is too much for you, here's a lesser version
weisco 10.25:1 piston
web stage 2 cam
web valve springs
new valves (black nitrate coated is recommended as they alst longer and are harder than standard valves)
*I still recommend the CNC valve job. endyn in ft. worth can do the valve job for $160 (labor only charge). that includes tear down, maching and re-assembly of your head and if you send them the new parts, they will install them at the same time. valve selas, new springs, new valves..)
new oil seals
new gasket set

total cost with you doing the assembly of the bike is about $450-$550 parts and machining.

some guys will say get a 200x or 200xr cam, but i can assure you those are no better than a web stage-1 cam. (less actually) so the stage 2 is much better.

I do recommend you look at a 200x carb as it is a 24mm vs. the stocker 22mm. the xr200 carb is a 25-26mm and it's ok too.

no mater what solution you chose, your going to have to look at openign the exhaust up. look on ebay and take your time. find an old vintage perfomance exhaust for the 200e. theya re out there. not a lot but they are. a ding or rust is ok. digs do not cause flow issues and rust as long as not rusted through can be blasted and re-painted. so take your time. I run a bassani myself but what you are looking for is more flow so jsut openign the flow up will help a ton.

theoutlaw
12-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks oscar. I like your second option a little better. I already have the exhaust handled. It has a Cobra Performance system that was on it when I got it. I havn't rejetted the carb yet but but one of the previous owners might have. I'm going to replace it anyways so I'm not worried about it. Tire size 25-12-9 in the rear and 22-11-8 up front. It also has a 200s front end on it. The rear sprocket has been changed. I'll have to count the teeth. It no longer has the same sprocket setup as the 200e. It looks more like a 200m sprocket setup.