PDA

View Full Version : Titles and registrations

uncle al
12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I bought an 84 BIG RED last year, and never thought about getting a title or registration from the owner because the 78 110 that I bought new didn't have a title or registration. When I bought another 84 BIG RED this summer and got a title and registration with it I got to wondering if all of them should have a title and registration. Should they? Thanks

Jon Boy
12-27-2010, 06:56 PM
varys from state to state i'm figuring. they should have titles (or atleast Bill of Sale with VIN#) if you want to get them registered, but you don't have to have them. do they have to be registered? no, but it's a good idea to do it. bad part is if your not sure how clean it's record is, having the VIN ran could bite ya if it was stolen at some point before you had bought it.

anyone care to correct me if i'm wrong here?

oldtime3wheeler
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
In Pennsylvania you are supposed to have them titled if you ride them anywhere besides your own property. Having a title shows proof of ownership. If you got caught riding somewhere you should not be riding and they take your trike you can get it back with having it titled and registered from what I hear.

bugler30
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
the system in Oregon works pretty well, in theory at least. Don't have to have it titled or registered through DMV but you do have to have a ORV tag which is effectively your registration as it is attached to the bikes VIN. Don't know for sure but I'd assume they run the VIN when you do that.

Best part is, its cheap, 10.50 for a two year tag. And the money goes to fund ORV areas such as the Dunes and the other trail systems in the state.

tri again
12-28-2010, 06:54 AM
the system in Oregon works pretty well, in theory at least. Don't have to have it titled or registered through DMV but you do have to have a ORV tag which is effectively your registration as it is attached to the bikes VIN. Don't know for sure but I'd assume they run the VIN when you do that.

Best part is, its cheap, 10.50 for a two year tag. And the money goes to fund ORV areas such as the Dunes and the other trail systems in the state.

My first few in Oregon were titled and registered with the DMV but now, you just take the vin number to any bike shop and get an off road sticker for like you said. 10 bucks or so. I was kinda shocked that they didn't want to see the actual trike and vin numbers.

Prob not so good for checking for stolen trikes, but I digress.

Also heard that we need proof of 'registration' (stickers) and maybe even proof of liability insurance to ride anywhere public. or they can take your trike.

The bad thing about having 15 bikes on record with the dmv ...when I almost got killed in a wreck and applied for various government 'services' they saw that I was a motorcycle 'millionaire'.

The same thought also applies when we sell or scrap other vehicles. They stay on the dmv records even if you scrap them.
So they show that I own, like 7 trucks too.

I think it's 40 bucks each to have them deleted and certified as sold or destroyed.

Funny, too because I took the www.rideatvoregon.org test online for free, passed and even got a genuine plastic license looking card in the mail and still don't know the rules.

I got pulled over on the way home with my newest sx because the cop was looking for a stolen quad.
Good thing I had brought a 2 dollar receipt book and had that as proof of sale with the guys signature, date and phone number.

Bottom line, it would suck to get sued without insurance and lose a trike for lack of a papertrail.

Jerm1179
12-28-2010, 07:20 AM
in ohio it is illegal to sell or buy an atv with out a title....a bill of sale is just a piece of paper to the state....it must be titled and registered

H250SXRdR
12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Im new to the site, was at trikefest last year with the Fullbore powersports crew and just bought a Honda 250sx and seems like i havent gotten off it since. Nothings more fun than a three wheeler in the snow. Anyway i got a title. two sets of keys and a bill of sale.. i was wondering if anyone from missouri knows if i can register my trike to use as a work vehicle around the small farm towns. Ive already been messed with by state patrol and they are insistant on these things being illegal around here except on your own property. Was pretty funny being real toasted and gettin pulled over doin 60 with a trailer on backroads and getting let go though.

hublake
12-28-2010, 07:51 AM
If you buy from a dealer you will get a title. If you buy from a private person get a bill of sale and a vin number and you can take it to the Sec of States office and apply for a title. It takes a couple of days as they run the vin number to see if it ever was reported stolen. They changed the law a few years ago. you never use to get a title. In Michigan the title will only prove ownership. You still have to have an ORV sticker to ride on the trails and roads.

tri again
12-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Im new to the site, was at trikefest last year with the Fullbore powersports crew and just bought a Honda 250sx and seems like i havent gotten off it since. Nothings more fun than a three wheeler in the snow. Anyway i got a title. two sets of keys and a bill of sale.. i was wondering if anyone from missouri knows if i can register my trike to use as a work vehicle around the small farm towns. Ive already been messed with by state patrol and they are insistant on these things being illegal around here except on your own property. Was pretty funny being real toasted and gettin pulled over doin 60 on backroads and getting let go though.

I heard that you can actually get a DUI on your OWN property running a lawnmower or anything else for that matter.
Sorry but as a group, we suggest refraining from 'toastifying' issues when engaging in, well, you know.

H250SXRdR
12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I have been told that too, by that officer in fact lol but he thought i was a funny sight and he hadn't seen a three wheeler in a while. Lucky for me trikes are conversation pieces and i wasn't too far from home.

uncle al
12-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Where I live here in Michigan I can get an orv sticker just by going to a place that sells fishing and hunting license's and giving him my drivers license. Was also told by the local pigs that I couldn't ride on the road or the shoulder on a quad, trike, or snowmobile, but I could ride where the snow plows throw the snow, which is alittle farther past the shoulder, we followed them home on the road after they told us that, and wasn't hastled.

Twilight
12-29-2010, 07:26 PM
here in Washington state you need Titles and Registration for all your stuff. If you buy something without a title, then you go through a 3 year battle for it, and IF nobody has claimed it, then the bike is in your possession.

Bill of sales mean nothing, and if its stolen, then they take it away.

Yearly tags are expensive too... like 30.00 per vehicle, then when u buy a ORV the taxes can be up to 100 bucks or more even.

jeswinehart
12-29-2010, 07:37 PM
"Was also told by the local pigs"

Fool

hublake
12-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Uncle Al,

Have you read the law as it pertains to the riding of ATVs on the roads in the state of MI? I think you will find that ATVs are allowed to ride on the shoulder of the road (in counties that adopted the law). Snowmobiles are in a different catagory and they are allowed to ride on the right of way of the road. I think your local police officer is mistaken. At least that is what we refer them to where I live.

uncle al
01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
"Was also told by the local pigs"

Fool

I think your local police officer is mistaken. At least that is what we refer them to where I live.

I'm sorry I must have posted this in the wrong section of this forum. I thought I could get some information about titles and registrations, not foolish remarks regarding the way I word my posts. To those that gave me comments on the titles and registrations where they live, thank you. to those with the snide remarks. FY

Xpress
01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
It's threads like these that makes me glad I live in a town where police don't bother to roam, or ask us to ride home............