PDA

View Full Version : Air filter preferences

Xpress
12-27-2010, 02:34 AM
What air filter do you use, and why?

I use K&N mostly, because I haven't ever had a problem, and I always clean them. They always get a good coating of oil afterwards, which sits for up to a day before I use it to allow thorough soaking in.

I do buy the cheapy UNI's on the occasion too, but mostly I use K&N :)

(this is not intended to turn into a heated debate, just to see what you are using and why- NOT to knock on another brand)

swifty
12-27-2010, 02:40 AM
i like a old dirty sock held on with a zip tie...lol

hang&rattle
12-27-2010, 02:48 AM
We use UNI's. The paper in the K&N seems to deteriorate after a time in our wet climate. The uni's sponge-like material can be washed in the sink over and over then re-oiled. The uni's also seem to collect dust and gunk up a little slower, but it may not be blocking all that it should, IDK.

Twilight
12-27-2010, 03:17 AM
UNI dual stage filters stay clean and with a good outer wear and oil ive never had any issues with dust or mud getting past my filters into the carb boot.

I also line the carb boot with 2 stroke just to be safe.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5491 all the reasons right here.

cr480r
12-27-2010, 03:46 AM
UNI is the way.. had and seen too many bad experiences with K&Ns..

Xpress
12-27-2010, 03:46 AM
^^If you treat a K&N properly (oil it, clean it, and take care of it) properly, unlike that unfortunate user, then you won't have any problems.

Maico
12-27-2010, 03:47 AM
Uni, Twin Air and K&N

cr480r
12-27-2010, 04:02 AM
i've seen sand debris get right through properly oiled k&ns.. and not just on atvs and dirtbikes.. i've bought brand new 14" K&N's That you could see right through the gauze in places.. no oil is gonna block holes like that.. I greased the airfilter base on my chevy once just to see..after one trip to the dunes there was enough debris to convince me to never use one again.. Now if I need more airflow i'll get a bigger paper or foam filter... especially on machines without an airbox.. If you run a K&N on sand you better have an outerwear

3Razors
12-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I saw an independent test once, it was on a diesel forum where they tested 3 different types of airfilters paper (fram), foam (uni), and fabric (K&N).

The test had a tube with a vacuum that sucked air through it. On the end of the tube they clamped each filter on. Inside the tube they placed a piece of glass with a light coat of grease on it. After the vacuum was turned on they sprinkled sand and dirt with various degrees from fine to thick particles. The glass from each tube was compared to eachother.

The final verdict was that the paper filter protected the best and virtually nothing got through but had the poorest airflow. The fabric (K&N) had the worst amount of grit on the glass, about 4 times that of foam but flowed the best. The foam was declared the winner in that it had very little grit that passed through the filter but was the best compromise in high airflow.

All opinions and testing aside, just look at the design of a K/N for yourself. It is very thin 1/8 inch oily sock between wire mesh, compared to a oiled foam that has a full inch or so of protection for grit to try and pass through. Its a no-brainer what protects more. I stuck with foam long ago and never looked back.

mi500
12-27-2010, 11:00 AM
i run uni for my dirt bikes but i got a factory honda one for my atc200 just because it was in stock when i needed it. In my opinion K&N should be just for street drag cars looking for maximum flow. But K&N flilters actually filter more efficiently when they are dirty. But i dont see why you would want to wait and let all the dirt in why your waiting for it to get dirty, and then you loose the air flow advantage. I love the foam so i can wash reuse and still have the good filtration.

atc200e
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
UNI. Never have seemed to have a problem with them. (Knock on wood)

1983 Big Red 200e

Twilight
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
^^If you treat a K&N properly (oil it, clean it, and take care of it) properly, unlike that unfortunate user, then you won't have any problems.

Well it was oiled, but thats okay, we can learn to read later.

You make this thread to hear all the stuff u were told last night?

Mr_RPM
12-27-2010, 08:39 PM
UNI, just because its a good foam replacement filter that has never let me down. I have had problems with K&N breaking down and not flowing well. may have been previous owners fault but....

ktmbk
12-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I found uni is the best, k$n don't hold up as well when things get dusty. I do use a k&n in my truck though....
I have got two of the moose foam filters because they are less expensive, they only seem to hold up for two years at most no matter how you maintain them.

ktmbk
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Ha, ha k$n, just caught it.
It's about right though....

Xpress
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Well it was oiled, but thats okay, we can learn to read later.

You make this thread to hear all the stuff u were told last night?

Can't you read? This is for you to say what you use and why, NOT TO KNOCK ON ANOTHER BRAND.

Xowner
12-27-2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/popcorn.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/nothingtoadd.gif

Rainer
12-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Moose racing foam filters because they're pretty cheap and seem to work good

cr480r
12-28-2010, 12:39 AM
This is for you to say what you use and why, NOT TO KNOCK ON ANOTHER BRAND.

the two go hand in hand... if you really want to know how many people use k&ns without argument try adding a poll to this thread.

ezmoney1979
12-28-2010, 08:56 AM
K&N with outerwear. Strictly dune riding. However when I ride in the woods (YFZ450) I use the same- I just try to go a little heavier on the oil if it is dusty.

TurboTacoma
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Uni air filter on both atc's.

code200k
12-28-2010, 11:10 AM
tri z has a moose racing whitch i should replace,with an other moose or maybe uni.K and N arent worth imho plus dont work as good in wet/muddy condtions on my trikes.