PDA

View Full Version : Question about rear axle?

txstar6585
12-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello, i dont have very much experience with 3 wheelers but i have one and i recently replaced the rear axle and housing on my 1984 honda 200s. The new axle has good brakes and good bearings however it seems like there may be too much resistance on the axle at the brake drum. Im not sure if the brakes are supposed to touch the axle at all or how much resistance i should have on the rear axle. I can spin the axle fine but it still feels like there is resistance. Is this normal?

txstar6585
12-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Know one knows the answer to this question?

Jammtee
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
you shouldn,t have resistance when the brake isn't applied. you should be able to spin it freely by hand. with slight movement of the pedal the resistance should be felt. check you adjustment on both your brake lever and near your brakes. you arm that attaches to your brake cam could be one tooth off, if adjusting doesn't work. did you take you brake cam out and clean it while it was apart. a little trash could also make it hang and cause resistance.

txstar6585
12-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I havent taken the drum apart is the brake cam inside the drum?

Jammtee
12-25-2010, 02:17 AM
the brake cam is the piece that drives the brake shoes out towards the brake drum. it is the flat piece of steal located in b/w the two shoes. you have to remove the bolt on the arm that is attached to the cam,when removing the cam. i suggest putting grease on the cam when installing it back in. i perfer marine grease.