PDA

View Full Version : YT175 clutch

RubberSalt
12-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Long story short:
My trike caught fire, replaced all burnt parts required to make it run, ported hell out of cylinder.

Problem: When ever i shift into gear, my bike dies instantly unless i have the RPMs up a little. Before the fire, everything was perfectly fine, no shifting issues or anything.

Also, what would it take to make my 1983 clutch into a manual? Which bottom end would i need to rob parts from? To much power for the auto set up.

Everytime I start getting into my powerband, my wheel starts coming off the ground... porting rocks :).. still on stock pipe :-p

three_wheelin45
12-24-2010, 07:13 AM
May I ask how it caught fire? and yes porting is awesome :shiftyeyes:

RubberSalt
12-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Floats got stuck or something - larger carb(maybe fuel pump caused needle to not seat?) then something shorted out, as i passed my buddy in a quick run, he said sparks where all over my bike then it caught fire. Headlight didn't light up, tail light worked - thought it was burned out >.<

this happened right after i put the bigger carb+ throttle cable on.

Yamaha_Rules69
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
The most common clutch mod is from a late 70's DT 175, or MX 175. Im not sure, but only certain years will work, not all of them. You have use the mainshaft from the YT, the shaft the sprocket runs on. The mainshafts on the dirtbike DT and MX is shorter, and the chain will not line up from the rear sprocket to the front. I have been wanting to do this, but havnt been able to pick up a cheap DT, or MX motor or bike for cheap. I think it would be best to but a whole motor, or at least a bottom end, and go from there, then start transfering parts. Vealmonkey knows all the details to this swap. Good luck!

RubberSalt
12-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the tip, but bottom ends with good cranks not cheap - bottom ends with bad cranks are :)

By anychance, you think the fuel pump would cause the carb to overflow? The carb i got came off a gravity fed polaris, no pump.

greenhuman
12-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Are you sure its got a fuel pump? The tank is above the carb so no need for a pump. Tri-Z's had a pump as the tank was under the seat.
Its more than likely an oil pump for the 2 stroke oil to mix with the tank fuel.

Vealmonkey
12-25-2010, 03:13 AM
The trimoto 175s have a fuel pump. It's very close to the tri z fuel pump. The only big difference is one fuel outlet is straight and one fuel outlet has a 90 degree angle. The fuel pump is mounted under the tank on the left side of the frame and it gets vacuum off the rubber carb inlet on the 82 and off the left side of the cylinder on the 83. The oil pump is on the right side of the engine in front of the clutch assembly.

200XMichigan
12-25-2010, 10:56 AM
When the fuel pump went out on my YT175 it drained all the gas into the engine. It happened over night, so it was cold and wasn't running but when it failed all the gas went into the engine. They are a Mikuni DF44 fuel pump. Incredibly common on snowmobiles.

sanchez
12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
is it cheating if you go to a blaster motor for a yt frame

RubberSalt
12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
I woundered that my self, Not quite a drop in, but extremely close. - tested with a spare bottom end brother had laying around.