PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a 1985 Honda 250sx

ssteele3
12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I am thinking about restoring my 85' Honda 250sx. This would be my first restore that I have done of anything. Just looking for some tips or pointers from guys that have done this before. I will be power coating the frame and possibly painting the plastics instead of replacing them. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, as I have a baby on the way.... but I know that it will take some cash.

Here are some pics of it right now as she runs great. I will be rebuilding the engine too as it as a tick in the top end.

Thanks everyone and have a Merry Christmas!!

skidoo99
12-22-2010, 06:37 PM
when i redid my sx i used the 200x front end. narrower tire and disc brakes are great and it looks more b.a. i also did 3 inch wheel spacers and 400ex tires and wheels. touch up the pipe and maybe some cables. seems like its all there. have funn

ssteele3
12-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Ya it is complete... The pics are of when I bought the sx, it did not have the brake cables or the reverse cable. What I did is ran the front brake cable to the left brake perch for now. I could not find the right brake perch and lever at a decent price, so I use the foot brake for the rear brakes.

cattle-dog
12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
looks good the motor probably needs the valves adjusted is all if its ticking,

harryredtrike
12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
i would tear it down to the frame.then clean and paint each part.replace what is broken or worn.it takes alot of work but it's better to sand and polish your plastics rather than painting them.

ssteele3
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
What type of polish should I use on the plastics? I did not even think about that. Also, when I paint the tank, is there a certain type of "Honda Red" and clear coat I should use?