PDA

View Full Version : Planning on rebuilding the top end on the 1979 ATC110 need ideas

dz
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Well, kicking a few ideas around as to what to do for the 79 110. Its low on compression, smokes a little, and doesn't have much power at all, nothing like my 85 had. I was wondering if any of the chinese or knock off lifan top ends would fit onto it? I haven't torn the top end off of it yet, just getting over the flu and I have no garage. I work with the previous owner, he said somebody had fitted a CB piston into it and when he got it he had it redone to accept a standard piston so I have no idea of what I'm really in for. I do have an aftermarket cam I want to put into it and I may order the DG RCM exhaust for it as the stocker is really beat/rotted, and obviously re-jet it. I see there is a NASA big bore piston kit on ebay right now, but I kind of like to keep things close to stock so parts aren't too hard to come by. I've already put some bucks into it, would like it to have the power it should and still be reliable. Thanks in advance.

Vealmonkey
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
No, there are no chinese knock off engines the same size as the 90/110. The most chinese knock offs are based on the z50/atc70 sized engine. Once you get the top end off, then you have to check what kind of play is in the connecting rod on the crank. If there is too much play, then you will have to tear the engine apart for a total rebuild or that new top end won't last long.

dz
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
I figured as much on the chinese stuff. As far as this engine, its pretty quiet no obtrusive noises and whatnot, starts up usually in one pull even in the dead of winter, was the standing joke that the old ATC starts better than the stuff made in the 2000's and it still does. Just trying to get over the lazy factor to go out there and take the 8 bolts off to get to the piston lol.

dz
12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Was just checking out weisco's web site and they seem only to carry their pro-x line of piston kits for ATC110's from 81 thru 85. I though the only difference between the 79-80 was the thinner rings, the newer 110's used thicker rings? Anyone care to clarify? Thanks.