PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tecate Extended swingarm Custon Rotor and Chain Gaurds... Lets seem them

TecateDan
12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Lets see what all of you guys made at home>>>>>
I'm looking for some good Ideas on how I want to fab mine up...
I'm sure that with all of the clever stuff guys on here make that there must be some works of art out there.

cr480r
12-21-2010, 07:45 PM
whats a chain guard? lol

TecateDan
12-21-2010, 08:08 PM
You must be one of those dune guys..... out here its rock central and its good insurance to run one

cr480r
12-21-2010, 08:12 PM
we got plenty of rocks here too..

Xpress
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, but still, what's a chain guard?

dcreel
12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
I've never run skidplates.. Just extra weight as far as I'm concerned.

fabiodriven
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
You guys are nuckin futs! I'll have to remember to bring my camera to work tomorrow and take some pics of mine.

scooterroo
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
nope, no chain guards or rotor guards here either, and im basically in the same neck of the woods as you and fabio, just a little west though...

cr480r
12-21-2010, 11:16 PM
the sprocket and rotor are pretty dang tough.. I've banged em pretty hard without damaging them.. bending a rotor once in a great while is a better option IMO than banging a skid plate on everything you come across.. I had a sweet aluminum skidplate on my quadracer for a short time. I thought it was gonna be great, but after a few rides i couldn't stand the thing.. lost ground clearance, got hung up and high centered in ruts and on roots, and rocks.. and just plain got tired of listening to it ring everytime i hit something.. Plus I had to take it off everytime i went to dunes in order do any of the good hillclimbs..

ezmoney1979
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
the sprocket and rotor are pretty dang tough.. I've banged em pretty hard without damaging them.. bending a rotor once in a great while is a better option IMO than banging a skid plate on everything you come across.. I had a sweet aluminum skidplate on my quadracer for a short time. I thought it was gonna be great, but after a few rides i couldn't stand the thing.. lost ground clearance, got hung up and high centered in ruts and on roots, and rocks.. and just plain got tired of listening to it ring everytime i hit something.. Plus it had to take it off everytime i went to dunes in order do any of the good hillclimbs..

Exactly! I have the same experience with them. They have gone to the trash long ago! Also I avoid hitting rocks to the best of my ability :lol:

cr480r
12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
one thing i would try if i built a dedicated trail machine is to incorporate some bash rings onto the sprocket and rotor like polaris used on the scramblers..

EDIT: heres a pic of a polaris axle for those not familiar with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-400-500-REAR-AXLE-ASSEMBLY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a3ec8ad7QQitemZ29051 2997079QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

dcreel
12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I do like the look of these from Blingstar.

They sell a rotorguard and a 2 piece sprocket guard that bolts on either side of the rear sprocket. It has teeth in it so it will grab onto things as it goes over them.
Here is a pic of the rotorguard
http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B-5C-OQCGk~$(KGrHqF,!lUEy+jC05(mBM9+cJvGOw~~0_12.JPG
sprocket guard
http://www.hsdracing.com/prodimages/Bling%20star/blingstar-dual-sprocket-guard.jpg

cr480r
12-22-2010, 12:01 AM
damn those are sweet.. the sprocket side reminds me of the "pie tins" used on some hillclimb bikes instead of a chain guide..

fabiodriven
12-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't run a rotor guard, and the main reason I run a chain guard is to keep my chain tensioned properly. I have a bushing on the rear of my chain guard to keep it from jumping.

Red Rider
12-22-2010, 04:38 AM
I've never run skidplates.. Just extra weight as far as I'm concerned.

They sell a rotorguard and a 2 piece sprocket guard that bolts on either side of the rear sprocket. It has teeth in it so it will grab onto things as it goes over them.
http://www.hsdracing.com/prodimages/Bling%20star/blingstar-dual-sprocket-guard.jpgThat rear disc sharkfin looks alright, but that sprocket guard looks gay. I don't know, maybe it's just the name "Bling Star" that sounds too ghetto & hip hoppish to me.

You don't want to run a skidplate because you're worried about weight, so you choose this sprocket guard instead? Now you've added weight & rotational mass. No thanks, I'll stick with my nice traditional, aluminum skidplate.

dcreel
12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
That rear disc sharkfin looks alright, but that sprocket guard looks gay. I don't know, maybe it's just the name "Bling Star" that sounds too ghetto & hip hoppish to me.

You don't want to run a skidplate because you're worried about weight, so you choose this sprocket guard instead? Now you've added weight & rotational mass. No thanks, I'll stick with my nice traditional, aluminum skidplate.

I didn't choose anything.. I was offering this option to the op. I've been running for 24 years without one.. So calm down cool guy.. Here lately .. the tools seem to be climbing out of the woodwork.

scooterroo
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
So calm down cool guy.. Here lately .. the tools seem to be climbing out of the woodwork.

hahahahahaha.... too funny d !!

Jeepermc
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
LOL.... I too have removed every bit of swingarm protection provided by the factory. I will put the one back on the 300ex for the occasional woods ride but the majority (99%) of my quad or trike riding is in the sand and in the sand a skid plate is an anchor.

fabiodriven
12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Hand-fabbed in my driveway 3 or 4 years ago. Thing works mint.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/Tecate%20250/Chainguard1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/Tecate%20250/Chainguard2.jpg

hang&rattle
12-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I have the brake disc guard, and have been looking for a chain skid plate like fabiodrivens. I've caught it on some big rocks I couldn't judge (or see) crossing the river & had a large chunk of stick flip up and go trough the chain & sprocket, scared the chit out of me when I heard and felt it, so I'd like the peice of mind. I am so small, my weight ratio is already good. Me & my Tecate weigh 40-75#'s less than most rider and machine. If anyone wants to sell the chain skid plate, I'm looking fer two, one for 84' one for 85'.

Red Rider
12-23-2010, 02:55 AM
So calm down cool guy.You think I'm cool? Thanks, it must be my hair!