PDA

View Full Version : At what temperature do you want to re-jet a YT175

200XMichigan
12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Are most of you guys with YT175's re-jetting them for winter? I raised the needle up too richen it up a bit. This is my first 2 stroke but to do a plug chop you have to kill the engine at WOT. But I read somewhere about doing a plug chop that you need to pull the clutch in otherwise the engine continuing to rotate at a high rate of speed would cause damage. My question is since I don't have a clutch isn't it going to keep turning the engine over, there is some compression braking.

Tri-ZNate
12-20-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe the reasoning behind pulling the clutch in is to prevent any more fuel going in causing the plug to darken from raw/partially burnt fuel and throwing off your reading. I dont see how engine damage could result but if your worried use the brakes and stop quickly

Vealmonkey
12-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I hate to tell you 200x michigan, but you have a clutch. Instead of pulling in on the clutch lever when you need to shift, your foot does it every time you shift. If you want to pull in your clutch, either lift up on your shifter or step down on your shifter and hold it with your foot. It's the same as pulling in the clutch.

200XMichigan
12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I know I have a clutch, I should have said a manual clutch. I guess I didn't think the fact that for a moment it is actuated by the shifter. But then I could argue that there is truely no auto clutch bike since all of them are actuated manually with the shift lever. So is holding the shifter down to engage the clutch the right way to do a plug chop on a 2 stroke semi-auto clutch?

I read on a post about doing a plug chop someone said that it would cause damage on a 2 stroke to kill it at WOT if the clutch wasn't disengaged. I couldn't think of any reason why but I would rather ask than try it and regret it.

Vealmonkey
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Firstly, you don't need to do a plug chop at wide open throttlle. Secondly, you really need to do 2 plug chops at the very least. One for your idle or slow speed jet and one for your main or high speed jet. You shouldn't need to be any more than half throttle to do a plug chop for the high speed jet. If you think about it, your high speed jet comes into play way before wide open throttle. I wouldn't want to run any of my 2 strokes at wide open throttle for very long, anyway.

200XMichigan
12-20-2010, 11:47 PM
It's just what I read on here. Wanna tell me the right way to do a plug chop on this machine? thanks

Vealmonkey
12-21-2010, 03:30 AM
If it was me, I would just go up 2 or 3 jet sizes on each jet. I would rather have the plugs be a little sooty, then lean. To do a plug chop, which you should be able to look up on here, you need to test your low speed jet first. Which means you would start with a fresh plug and when you run your trike around, don't open your throttle more than a 1/4 of the way. That should give you your low speed jet reading. Then once you change that jet, you need to run a fresh plug every time you recheck your plug until you get it right. Same for high speed jet, fresh plug, run trike around at approx 1/2 throttle or a little better for several minutes and shut off and check your plug. You have to use a new plug each time you check your jetting or the test really isn't accurate. That's pretty much it. It's time consuming and plug consuming and unless you have a supply of larger jets, not worth doing. I just don't really run a 2 stroke in the cold for now. It pays to make sure you warm your 2 stroke up to operating temp before riding in the cold, especially on trikes with radiators. And also best not to run your trike above 3/4 throttle for any length of time. But bigger jets help.

200XMichigan
12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Is not letting them warm up properly part of the reason people have problems in the winter. I don't ride anything until is has warmed up. And unfortunately I don't have a 2 stroke trike with a radiator, but soon....