PDA

View Full Version : "bikerChicks Cam" Web Camshaft 55-521 (Something you should know!)

TurboTacoma
12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey Guys:

I posted about this cam in a few threads. I even made my own, trying to get help with an overly rich idle problem that I was having after my rebuild and new cam install.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?122728-A-few-question-to-thoughs-who-are-running-the-Ebay-200x-cam

I found the problem! Someone here did mention about the pin being drilled in the wrong spot on the camshaft that turns the rotor. I dug through many posts and remembered a poster returning the cam due to this problem. But it didnt ring a bell until I went over everything I did. I made sure I set the carb like I had it before the rebuild. I cleaned everything up. I pulled the rotor assembly off and doubled check my mechanical timing. (Crankshaft TDC to Cam gear dot to dot with the head.) All looked good. Then I got my 1984 ATC 200s Tech manual and noticed that the rotor position wasnt looking the same as mine was. I had locked the engine on TDC, while I was going back together. So seeing this being different, I moved the timing all the way to the right against the stop. I got the bike running and tried to get it to idle again. Spec. says to idle at 1300-1400 rpm and use a timing light to make sure the "F" is lined up with the mark in the timing plug hole. Guess what?..... it was off! The cam was acting like it was off a tooth retarded. So I took the trigger pick off the timing plate. I ground back the the stop and then took some off the stock timing plate stop on the head. I fired the engine up with it rotated to the clockwise position and very close to the "F" make. It started to idle better too. I did this a few times until I got the timing dead on the "F".

My AFR's started to get much better. No more 10.1:1 more like 12.9:1-13.0:1. I use a wide band o2 sensor to help set up carbs to save time. (LM-1 wide band o2 sensor setup) So to make a long story short. The cam pin for the rotor on my cam was not drilled right and was causing me the head ache I was having trying to get his trike to run. I havent posted this info to the bikerchick shop "3and4wheelershop" on Ebay. But after all the work to get it timed.... I will see how this cam runs. I got it timed now at 1400rpm on the "F" mark. The AFR at idle is a stable 13.2:1-13.0:1 after a small tweak to the idle air screw. I am running the stock carb with these current settings 1 3/4 to 2 turns out on the pilot screw/ Slow jet #35/ needle set on 2nd groove/ main jet #102. This is the same setup I have in my g/f's atc 200 less the cam and 200x piston. (which runs great!) I know once I get my tires on my trike and start riding it, my jetting may change slightly due to load.... just waiting on tires now to ride it! I hope this helps others out if you get this camshaft from Ebay from the 3and4wheelershop!

racer....X
12-17-2010, 07:29 PM
that was probabaly me that mentioned the hole for the pin being drilled wrong.I got it for my wifes 200x and we were going on a rideing trip the next day so i just put an old cam in it to get it going. I spent a couple of hours trying to find out what the problem was because the whole topend was new i i was thinking carb. My cams hole was off quite a bit.... not sure if moving the pickup will help but i will check!

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
The ignition timing may be very close to spot on now, but there is still the valve timing.

Were all "taught" to line up dots and hope that the OEM or AM cam is ground correctly. The only true way to check valve timing is with a degree wheel and it's not for the average Joe. Advancing the intake a mere couple of degrees affects the low end performance.

Anyhow, so much for the theory that they are merely selling XR200 cams but whatever they're doing, they're doing it wrong.....

Great observations! :beer

racer....X
12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I looked at it pretty close and the lobes "apear" to be in the corect position....only the pin hole drilled wrong but who knows...Ill stick with the name brand stuff from now on!

swifty
12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
whats up with the web cam part# in the title? are you saying the web cam is bad also???? ive had 2 of these biker chic cams and never installed one thank god! i did learn that hi compression piston in 83 200x equels broken kicker shaft in a week!!

TurboTacoma
12-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Racer X I think it was you now that you mention it. Yes like you I thought it was a carb problem. After writing everything I did to the carb, it didnt make since that I wasnt seeing any change in my AFR's at idle. I had checked the cam and crank's timing mechanically before. But was so unhappy with everything that I had to walk away and collect my thoughts and started over. Once I realized what was happening I remembered your post and decided what I could do to get the timing adjusted to get it running. So I took the stops on the trigger pick up and on the head and ground them back until it was timed right. It runs good. I did have to grind the cover's inside too to make it bolt up.

Now for the cam they use. I am only guessing its a web cam 55-521 because both cam's have same lift and duration specs. So I am guess these may be a bad batch or a knock off... Either way I found what the problem was and a way to get it to work. I will email them tomorrow about my findings and see what they do. I was hoping when I bought the cam that it was a stock 200x cam. Once I got the cam and it had a cam card, I realized it was not. I emailed them about it and got " just put it in.... It will give you what you are looking for!" That didnt settle well with me so I went online with its specs. And came up with the web camshaft 55-521 grind 40b. So with the specs I found, I figured it maybe a webcam. I do like to know what I am buying and what to expect from it prrformance wise. Again I hope this is useful. Ill post pictures of the trigger pick up and all I did tomorrow.

TurboTacoma
12-18-2010, 01:44 AM
I was just looking for something more then stock but not a top end cam. I wanted more grunt with some mid and slight upper end. I wanted a little more power without going over the top. My goal was a stronger 200s that would be reliable and fun. I figured with dg exhaust, uni air filter, a small cam, a stock 200x piston to bump compression, a top end freshing, and a port and polish job would give me all of that, and keep my modding cost down! I just wasnt expecting this type of trouble with getting it running after all the work. I had done the g/f's trike a week ago less the cam and piston and was happy with the results, but wanted more from my trike! I couldnt have her out running me!

TurboTacoma
12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
I am still at work as of now. But I emailed the 3and4wheelershop about my finding and asked them what they plan to do... such as replace the cam with a known good one etc. Ill post some pictures later of the modding I did to get it running.

TurboTacoma
12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Well this is what I got from them in an email!

"Hi,
That is the way they all are. With the timing set it should be working as expected. The fact the pin is drilled in a different position can be worked around as you found. We have been using these in our shop for about 20 years and have still not been able to get the supplier to change them.
They all have been drilled the same.

Mike "

This is very sad!

TurboTacoma
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Pictures to follow once I get home from the g/f's home and get my camera!

TurboTacoma
12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

TurboTacoma
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
4th picture is stock timing trigger location with the stock cam. The 5th picture is what I had to do to get it timed right with the BikerChick cam. The first picture and 5th picture with the screw drivers show the stops on the trigger and cylinder head. I ground the opposite sides to get the timing working. The last picture is the material I ground off to get it to bolt up!

racer....X
12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
When I called them the guy said he hadnt had any problems with them.He acted like I didnt know what I was talking about and said there was no way it was drilled wrong.He said to send it back and he would check it and he would send another if he found something was wrong. I still have the cam.....I didnt bother!

TurboTacoma
12-19-2010, 09:38 PM
It is just sad that they are acting like this! I hope this helps others out if they go this route!