PDA

View Full Version : 350X Rear caliper is sticking, any ideas?

xsrock
12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Just got my 86 350X running again. I rebuilt the rear caliper and now the piston is sticking. When I took the caliper apart, the brake pads were completely gone. Only the metal backing of the pads were left. As a result, the piston was exposed about 1/2" for the last 8 years or so. There was some rust on the piston that I cleaned off with some 400 grit sandpaper. I put new seals in the caliper and when I put the piston back in, I had to tap it in with a block of wood and a hammer. I was hoping it would loosen up, but it hasn't. The brakes work, but they don't release enough. Any ideas what needs to be done to make it work properly? And on a separate but related note, why do some people block off the parking brake?

RodKnockRacing
12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
corrosion and dirt behind the seals

xsrock
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
That is what I was thinking, I am going to tear it back apart this weekend and see if I can loosen it up at all. I rebuilt the front caliper and that one works great. Hopefully I can fix this. How hard should it be to put the piston back into the caliper? I am guessing that you should be able to push it in fairly easily, right?

RodKnockRacing
12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah it should push right in

xsrock
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Good call on the corrosion behind the seals. I didn't do a good enough job cleaning it the first time. I took it back apart, sanded the inside of the caliper a little, cleaned out the corrosion at the seals and it works great. Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help.

Vealmonkey
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Just a little bit of moisture and below freezing temps can have an affect also.