PDA

View Full Version : ATC250R Billet Timing Advancer, any good??

ric
12-16-2010, 03:46 AM
Things are slowing down for the year, sales are slow, its the time when I get bored and start surfing the web looking for new and interesting things for ATCs.
Spotted a guy on Ebay offering a Billet Timing advancer suits Water cooled 250rs and TRX models.
Anyone know if this is any good, seller says the late water cooled models were detuned and this will help restore that extra power that the authorities were afraid to trust us with.
I did hear that 85 Model ATC250rs had more HP than 86 and there could be something to this as I know my future son in law has an 85 and he flogs me everytime which is kind of embarrassing, could be that I am just slow and old but surely thats not the case.
Anyway, would appreciate any feedback on this one.

Cheers

atcmatt
12-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Gday Ric good to see ya still around. You should come up to the beach on australia day for a ride! Do you still want that carby of mine? If so pm your postal address.

Matt

3wheelrider
12-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I got one for my 85'R a while back. It was made by P.R.M. or R.P.M.- I'm not sure. Anyway, it was adjustable for advancing or retarding (if needed) several degrees either way. Of course stronger than stock which are prone to cracking near the bolts. I've seen some sold now that are non adjustable-it come advanced a couple degrees-and thats it. Don't know if the one I got is still sold on ebay but it had gone up in price alot last I saw up to like $70. Anyway- I bought mine after I rebuilt my motor and had the cylinder ported. Jetted it best I could but wasnt running great. Till I bought that adjustable timing plate,put it on and started advancing little by little. (Testing at each degree line till it woke the f**k up!) at a about 4 degrees. All my problems disappeared. Your situation is different if your cylinder is not ported- maybe the non adjustable one is good for unported cylinders- not sure? I know I wouldnt get the non adjustable one if its for a ported motor. Well thats my experience anyway.......

ric
12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Matt, good mate, thanks on the carb but I got a PWK36 now and bolted it on, a little dissapointed though as it still runs sluggish and doesn't seem to want to crack. I'll be there on Aus day, at least I plan to.
Hi Glamy, I keep telling my future son in law its not a good thing to make me look bad but he won't listen, just wait until he finds out I poured sand down his oil filler plug, that'll slow him down.
3wheelrider, sounds like I need to get the advancer, my r has ridiculous porting, when it was at the machine shop for a rebore the guys actually commented on the ports, I think it may be just too wild as it never seemed to have gone well since I got it, may have to look at going back to a standard cylinder but will try the advancer, the one I'm looking at has 4 degrees built in, no adjustment.
Cheers

ForeverThreeWhe
12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi Matt, good mate, thanks on the carb but I got a PWK36 now and bolted it on, a little dissapointed though as it still runs sluggish and doesn't seem to want to crack. I'll be there on Aus day, at least I plan to.
Hi Glamy, I keep telling my future son in law its not a good thing to make me look bad but he won't listen, just wait until he finds out I poured sand down his oil filler plug, that'll slow him down.
3wheelrider, sounds like I need to get the advancer, my r has ridiculous porting, when it was at the machine shop for a rebore the guys actually commented on the ports, I think it may be just too wild as it never seemed to have gone well since I got it, may have to look at going back to a standard cylinder but will try the advancer, the one I'm looking at has 4 degrees built in, no adjustment.
Cheers

I know how you feel Ric, Ben beats me too. Good idea with sand. I hope to see you out there Australia day.

ric
12-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi Ben

Yeah, (other) Ben beats everyone, "trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro" But I did start up my R this arvo, let it idle and warm up nicely, gave it a big rev and it sounds a lot better now. (Apologies to next door neighbour who has a newborn, think I woke it up.)
I'm keen to get up to Lavis Lane and stretch its legs a bit and see how it performs, Bloody well better perform, it has a brand new PWK36, FMF Fatty sytem, new CDI. some times you are better off just leaving your bike alone, the shock of a rebuild seems to be too much at times.
Cheers

atcmatt
12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Awesome. Cant wait for Aussie day. Im just gonna HAVE to have my 330 running right. Maybe Ill be able to beat ben lol

mmartin
12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
If you go to jokersracing.com they have the timing advance bracket on there web site that is adjustable from -5 to +4 degrees. It costs a little more than the one on eBay but it's probably gonna be worth it to have the ability to adjust it. Hope this helps you

3wheelrider
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah-I'd go with the one with adjustable degrees cause you dont know at which point of advance is at optimum performance... Just dont over advance! I've had no trouble-few years later. Its a big plus to be able to dial it in perfectly....well worth the extra money and initial trouble of having to adjust/tune it untill you feel best performance. After that-you leave it alone.