PDA

View Full Version : Oil seal replacement

kasey200x
12-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Quick question.. Doin a rebuild and i can see the little spring on the seal for the output shaft has came out. Since the bearing is in the case, i cant put it back in. I want to make sure it is not to hard to pull the seal out and put another in. If not, i'm going to go ahead and replace them all.
Quick procedure of replacing a seal?
thanks guys.

ama009
12-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey Kasey, I just saw your thread after I responded on mine. I don't know about changing the seal with the shaft still in there. Is it leaking any oil? The seal is supposed to put just enough pressure on the shaft as to not lose oil, but it is not so much that you couldn't slide it in or out. I think you will have a harder time removing the seal from the case. I don't know if you can get enough bite on it with some needle nose to pull it out. I am not sure, but I think that once you have the old one out, putting in the new one may be a lot easier. I used a socket(i don't remember which size) to tap the new one in. You may be able to do the same thing. IDK, just trying to give you some ideas. Of course, if you are not leaking any oil, you may be ok.

WIkid500
12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
If it isn't leaking don't worry about it. To change a seal with the shaft in drill a small hole in the seal, thread a small sheet metal screw into the metal part of the seal and pull it out with a pliers. Take a socket that fits the seal and pound in the new one. Before you put a seal pack the back of it with axle grease, this will keep the spring in place.