PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed that Tri-Z's hate water?

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 09:56 PM
just picked up my new Tri-Z two days ago. started up on about 3-4 kicks even in this freezing weather and ran like a beast. took it up to my buddies camp. he had no shed to put our rides so we left them on the trailer outside for the night. no tarp. bad idea. she started up fine surprisingly and even would idle for a little bit. warmed it up and when i went to take off only had about half throttle and then it would spit sputter and cut out. no matter how much i tried i couldnt clear it out. my buddies Z does this to a much smaller extent also after going through a puddle or after a wash but his always clears out. i changed the plug. same thing. fouled within seconds. my buddies tri-z was there too and did the same thing. so we took them home washed them and when my buddies Z was dry he ran it and it was running like it was supposed to. mine acted like it wanted to start but i didnt run it because my rad hose was leeking fluid (another random problem outta no where). well the today i tried to start it up after fixing the hose and it ended up being a 45 min job and STILL WONT START. it has spark and i put a brand new plug in it and it still wont start. whats wrong!!!!??? HELLPPPPPP :mad:

MTS
12-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Sounds like some water in fuel..and a crankcase half full of fuel now...drain the bowl on the carb into a clear bottle...and see if theres any water..., You might have to take the exhaust pipe off and dumper out if it filled up with fuel bad enough....other wise...Plug out, fuel off, Carb drained... Ign off...and kick it for a while..let it sit for a day, try and get the fuel out of the crank case.

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
thanks i could see that being the problem. my small exhaust leak on the header could have also helped this problem. needs a gasket

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
whats the best way to get the fuel outta the crankcase?

hang&rattle
12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
How bout' a picture of the Z for us to gander at?

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
i will post some if u show me how

MTS
12-13-2010, 11:08 PM
whats the best way to get the fuel outta the crankcase?

Pretty much explained it in my first post... Need to go advanced then click manage attachments to upload a picture :beer

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
my bad man. so i dont have to drain the gas in my gas tank??? and ok ill upload 2 pics. not the best . more will be posted this week :p

MTS
12-13-2010, 11:23 PM
No not necessarily...That's why i mentioned Check the fuel in the carb, See if it IS water in the system or possibly something else...Trying to keep it simple....Could be a multitude of other things.

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
111535 another pic

dudethatssick
12-13-2010, 11:41 PM
check it out. the color scheme reminds me of the 2001-2002 yamaha sport quads with the white and black

Tecate Karl
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Nice tecate in the back ground

jmax857
12-14-2010, 12:58 AM
for frig sake, here i thought i was building the one and only black and white tri-z.
nice bike.

dudethatssick
12-14-2010, 01:10 AM
not my tecate but definitely my second favorite trike. and jmax i love the looks of white and black but still think i would prefer the white/red original with gold rims.i dont know. good luck on your build and thanks.

CanadianThomas
12-14-2010, 02:03 AM
That is one damn fine looking Z! Hope you get her all clear, must be a blast when running.

hang&rattle
12-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting those up, I like the looks of the Tri-Z. & I rode in the mud, snow & water too long on sunday and my Tecate bogged at the end so I put it up. May be a 2-stroke thing.

Yamaha_Rules69
12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
It could be your coil. I had all kinds of funny problems with mine - turs out it was cracked, and arcing off to the frame. I hear this is a common problem with the old yamaha coils. It could still run, but get some water in that crack on the coil, and forget about it. I replaced mine with one from a YTM 125, same number stamped on the coil body. Good luck!

Bryan Raffa
12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
check the orange wire where it comes out of the coil.. they crack there and arc.... pull you stator cover and let it dry out... dialectic grease your connection...

dudethatssick
12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
well i drained the carb, and put fresh gas in the Z and got her running. took it around the yard a couple times. shut it off and went to start her up again. bam. snapped the kicker apart where the ball bearing is supposed to be. turns out it didnt have one or a spring. got it welded up and first kick it broke again. then i realized my shaft wasnt even rotating causing all the force to be taken to the kicker. this was actually a GOOD thing. turns out my tranny fluid was BONE DRY!!. keep in mind i just bought the trike 4 days before this and didnt really check it over like i should have. funny that a "rebuilt tranny" doesnt have any fluid. a good reminder to go over your trike as soon as u buy it. since my shaft only rotated about a quarter inch, i dont think i did any damage, stripping anything apart on the inside. gotta get the kicker rewelded and buy some oil before i actually find out ) : bad move on my part...