PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler for 70,90,110

3wheeledjunkie
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I was reading the Mad 70's thread and noticed a couple pics where 70's had oil coolers. A few looked like stock motors. Can this be done on a stock engine? I know a couple chinese engines have em stock. It looked it to be a piece you take off the head on the left side that would fit any Honda laydown motor. Any ideas?

Vealmonkey
12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Those little side pieces work for the atc70/z50 based engines, but it doesn't work like that on the 90/110. You can tap into the top end of a 90/110 or you can tap into the right side of the engine case right after where the oil pump is. The old school oil coolers were just like the oil coolers you would see on a motorcycle. The newer oil coolers for the atc70 type engines are usally some kind of billet aluminum. The 70 coolers are a little to small for the 90/110 in my opinion. Unless you are really modding a 90/110 and running it hard, a cooler isn't necessary unless you are out in the desert or something like that and most mildly modded 90/110 even take that kind of heat no problem.

3wheeledjunkie
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I was just looking for one for when I mod my 70 heavily. So wheres the best place to get one? Any internal mods needed on a 70?

Race Demon
12-17-2010, 11:46 PM
A stock cover can be modified, but you really don't need one on a stock based motor, some of us [Mad 70s] use stock heads for big valves and cams we have left over from old motors, its hard to tell what you will find in some of our stuff, it may look stock and just be stock cases or head, just to play mind games with each other, [cheating] as we call it is just us using parts that really don't go together to build something different from left overs, 125cc motors and up that get twisted hard and long need coolers to help with ring life