PDA

View Full Version : Progressive fork springs and before and after pics

BLAZERONE22
09-28-2003, 02:56 AM
I was out riding with a couple buddies today on dirtbikes getting a severe case of monkey butt on the 350x. While trying to keep up on the tight trails when my arms started going numb, I had a thought. Progressive fork springs. I wonder if they would help???? I've heard of them, do they help? I had a heck of a time trying to keep up, I kept loosing my line and over corecting most of today on some rough trails. What a ride. rocky rutty steep narrow trails, to top it off it was 95 degrees. I'm running 15WT in the forks now. Should I use the pvc spacer trick and preload them or just break down and get the springs. Are they worth the money?I do know what I'm getting next is, as set of padded mountain bike shorts to wear under my riding pants. I'm definitely going back up there and ride them trails again. the x was a tractor. I just need to smooth out the ride a little. then again 5 hours out from the truck is a while too. I'm gonna be hurting Sunday.

hrc200x
09-28-2003, 09:50 AM
I have them in my 350x. They helped a ton. I don't know if they'd help in your case or not but for me they stiffened up the landings off jumps. The springs come with their own PVC spacer and for different models you have to cut it to lenght by the sheet that comes with the springs. I think the spacer was like 3 1/2 inches long and a 350x calls for that so I didn't cut it. The springs don't make the full range of travel stiff, but as they compress they get stiffer. I also am using ATF with the progressive springs so if you wanted stiffer you could use a larger weight.

Didn't your desert seat help the ride?

350x'inNY
09-29-2003, 01:56 AM
MR ATC rebuilt my forks last week with the Progressive Fork Springs I had bought. We ended sawing off a half inch of the PVC spacer. I am 6'4" and ~245. We thought the full 3½" would be too much pre-load.

Hopefully I will have time this week to reassemble my front end, and resize the nearly 50 pics I took in the process for a future 'Tech Series' article here or somewhere!

Bruce

BLAZERONE22
09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Well I ordered a set, the forkboots came last week so I put them on tonight. I ordered the springs, hopefully they will get here by Friday. I was emailing some before and after pics of my bikes to my Dad in Colorado I'll post them here, boy they came out nice. Thanks for the help.

samster143
09-30-2003, 10:17 AM
How much did the springs raise your front end?

hrc200x
09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
They took some of the sag out of the front end.