PDA

View Full Version : Auto X snowtrike?

Name Brand
12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking about built a lightweight Auto-X for snow and winter use. It would be just a toy and not meant for hauling supplies; just a fun rider to go places. I want to keep this on three wheels; no ski in front. I want a winter trike and all the funny looks that come with it. I like the idea of basing this off a 200x since it was a pretty light machine to start with, has full suspension and is simple.

What I do have in my parts stash is an older 200x frame with the entire front end and rear swingarm, axle and assorted hardware. I probably have enough parts to put together a 185cc engine to go in it right now.

I would have to buy plastics, a tank, handlebars and tires and rims. I would like to use as much aluminum or plastic as possible to keep the weight down; things like the rims, handlebars, controls. I'd make an aluminum or possibly UHMW belly plate to help it glide over snow. White plastics, tank and frame with black hardware and engine, leave the aluminum parts shiny and maybe a few Honda red accents scattered around.

Maxxis makes the 4-SNOW tires; I like them. Think of this project as - build a trike around these tires. What ideas do you have?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/photos/68-2201.jpg

CanadianThomas
12-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, hand warmers and a thumb warmer would be good, though add a bit of weight. The snow/skid plate is a good one. I have plastic hand guards on the way to help cut down on cold air.

Maybe shape your skid plate a bit like a boat hull/snow plow to help push the snow aside?