PDA

View Full Version : parts unlimited Twist Throttle opinions ideas issues ect.

JoeyStacks
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I own a KLT 185 and was thinking about putting a twist throttle on it. Im looking at the parts unlimited kit with throttle cable. Its cheap and Im hard up for loot
1. Its really cold and I love riding in the snow so no more frozen thumb
2. I think a twist throttle would feel better seeing as you have to lean this sucker like a streetbike to keep it on 3 wheels
So let me know your ideas on this subject
Now on my quad should I try to wrap the thumb throttle in neoprene to keep from getting the frozen thumb or is there another way to do it

Im trying to have this thing ready for next weekend. I went to my local cycle shop and ordered the parts for it... a whopping 24bucks to get this sucker running again. So I would like to get some opinions
to me the twist throttle looks cheap but if it fails on me I could go back to thumb.

Vealmonkey
12-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Get yourself an electric snowmobile suit and gloves and not worry about it.

JoeyStacks
12-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Get yourself an electric snowmobile suit and gloves and not worry about it.

If you reread my post it will say that I am hard up for cash... so an electric suit is out of my 30-40 dollar price range. And I have yet to find a pair of gloves that my thumb dosent freeze in. I have tried a good bit of glove combinations and found nothing that keeps my thumb from being ridiculously numb in 20 degrees or colder weather

RDH/86200X
12-10-2010, 11:28 PM
a good old pair of jersey gloves is the best i have found for riding in the cold. you want gloves that dont fit tight on your fingers so there is air that can warm up and keep your fingers warm

Vealmonkey
12-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Well, I figured you have a friend that would be kind enough to pass along an older used suit. Alot of people don't like twist throttles. Maybe you could adapt something from an old dirtbike?

Jon Boy
12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
one thing i will say about twist throttle is, if you get caught off guard it's easy to goose it into a bad situation. i caught a unseen stump turning around before and almost took a 10ft dip in the creek. :lol:

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 12:46 AM
a good old pair of jersey gloves is the best i have found for riding in the cold. you want gloves that dont fit tight on your fingers so there is air that can warm up and keep your fingers warm

Ive tried mickey mouse gloves under jersey gloves under riding gloves and when the temp drops it still dosent do the job

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, I figured you have a friend that would be kind enough to pass along an older used suit. Alot of people don't like twist throttles. Maybe you could adapt something from an old dirtbike?

I only have a few friends with sleds and I dont think anybody has one of those suits but I could look into a used one. I really like twist throttles but only on 2 or 3 wheelers. So Im leaning toward getting one

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 12:52 AM
one thing i will say about twist throttle is, if you get caught off guard it's easy to goose it into a bad situation. i caught a unseen stump turning around before and almost took a 10ft dip in the creek. :lol:

Im pretty used to twist throttle Ive been riding street bikes for a few years now and like it. One problem is the KLT is a dog so you pretty much have to keep it WOT for everything
Has anybody used neoprene on the thumb throttle before? I just ran a search and found this for snowmobile riders
http://www.preferredpowersports.com/catalog_product_detail.asp?CatalogCode=6782&LevelCode=4205&PartHeaderNumber=1015494
I figured if you wrap the thumb throttle it would make it less cold... maybe worth a shot

KASEY
12-11-2010, 12:53 AM
twist throttle works fine on trikes. it workks great for keeping your thumb warm caud=se you don't have it hanging down in the cold! go for it,,, you will like it.

MTS
12-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Could always run hand/thumb warmers on the bars if the trike has a battery.....Only down side is i find most old stuff with the battery is the charging system cant Quite keep up...for the electric start...id rather have warm hands tho.

Jon Boy
12-11-2010, 01:43 AM
to save money, thought about making your own winter handlebar mitts?

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Could always run hand/thumb warmers on the bars if the trike has a battery.....Only down side is i find most old stuff with the battery is the charging system cant Quite keep up...for the electric start...id rather have warm hands tho.

no battery on these

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks everybody who posted Im gonna go with a twist throttle I sold some music gear last night to come up with the money so next friday this thing will be back rolling again

Modding_out
12-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Im pretty used to twist throttle Ive been riding street bikes for a few years now and like it. One problem is the KLT is a dog so you pretty much have to keep it WOT for everything
Has anybody used neoprene on the thumb throttle before? I just ran a search and found this for snowmobile riders
http://www.preferredpowersports.com/catalog_product_detail.asp?CatalogCode=6782&LevelCode=4205&PartHeaderNumber=1015494
I figured if you wrap the thumb throttle it would make it less cold... maybe worth a shot

Your KLT 185 doesn't sound likes it running right:crazy: Mine hauls butt check your valve lash if your not blowing any smoke.

As for twist throttle I have a trike with one. hate it, having a twist throttle gets pretty hairy when your hanging off the side going through a slide(or tight turns for that mater) you have no fine throttle control.

But that's just my opinion, if ya wanna sell your Klt's thumb throttle hit me up.

fabiodriven
12-11-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?121494-Cold-weather-riding-hand-warmers&highlight=

JoeyStacks
12-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Those things are HUGE they look like the really work well. I might pick up some for the quad but I think I want to do the twist throttle for the Kawi

fabiodriven
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I use them with a twist throttle no problem.

Jon Boy
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
yeah, that's what i was talking about, only just make your own to save some cash.

jays375
12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Those mits aren't that bad in price.Plus you can switch them back and forth between machines easily.I have a pair and love them.In the winter when it's cold I get away with not much for gloves.When it is really cold you might need something heavier.You would be happy with a set.

JoeyStacks
12-13-2010, 10:56 AM
They look pretty good I will be checking them out in the near future