PDA

View Full Version : so now what

big red hemi
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
i set out today to change the axle brgs on my 200 x. (ive had it for 2 months now)
first step downloaded the service manual. then removed wheels hubs sprocket axle nuts and rotor. but the dam rotor hub is rusted on so bad i cant get it off. after alot of cursing i decide to take off the swinger, (those brgs need changing anyways) and take it and the axle to the local shop and press it out no problem. so i start to remove the swinger pivot nut and now cant get the pivot bolt to come out.

im sure some of you guys may have had similar trouble. if im going about this the wrong way just give me a slap in the head and send me down the right path.

thanks
jarret

cattle-dog
12-07-2010, 08:14 PM
cut the bolt and get a new one save yourself the headache, once cut it will come apart easy.

big red hemi
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
yea i was afraid or that. looked on ebay 50 bucks and shipping just for the pivot bolt plus another 50 for the brgs

thanks cattle-dog

big red hemi
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
it seems the pivot bolt for the 83-85 is dicontinued. cant find a first gen on ebay. can first and second gen be interchanged?
or does anyone know where i can get one?

thanks

Xfile
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
first and second gen. do not interchange.

ron1576
12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I bought a new swingarm bolt from yamahondaman's auction for my 84 200x, it is stainless steel. I don't know how true this is, I was told that the trick to getting the swingarm bolt out is to have another person wiggle your swingarm side to side while you hit it with a hammer. I am going to try this on mine in the future. Might be worth a shot. If you try this, and plan to reuse the bolt, be careful not to destroy the end, of course. Good luck.

I just went to the auction site and it looks like there are three of these left. Get it while you can.

big red hemi
12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
yamahondaman's auction is that ebay

thanks i will try that

TheRealFatShady
12-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I read it as you took the swingarm off and brought that + the axle to a shop....but I guess you didn't?

I'd try penetrating fluid, and later on heat from a small blowtorch. I have had really rusted ones, and NEVER had to cut one off. Just spray the penetrating fluid on, and repeat for a few hours. You can thread the nut on backwards (maybe not, I don't remember a first gen 200x) and then lightly tap with a hammer.

A $5 can of PB Blaster is cheaper than a $65 bolt.

big red hemi
12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
ok so back to the axle and swing arm brgs. i got the swinger brging in the mail but still no bolt or slightly used axle i bought off ebay. waiting for parts when you live north of the border really sucks, but thats another thread.

i want to install a grease nipple on the pivot. has any one done this?

i was thinking of drilling and taping the swinger in the center. that would allow the brgs to be greased, but not the bolt on the inside of the collar . but i was thinking of drilling the collar in line with the zerk. this would allow the area between the bolt and collar to take grease. i am going to assume the collar will turn inside the swinger so may be i could drill the collar in two three places. i think this would keep the grease moving where its needed.

some one some where mentioned this to me just not exactly sure how to go about it.

jeswinehart
12-21-2010, 07:58 AM
On a 350X I used to own, I put 2 Zerk's in the front hub, swing arm bolt and rear carrier.
The brake lever I used 1 zirk.
The swing arm bolt is hollow on the 350x, no idea on the 200x but if it is I tapped the ends to thread in the zirks. drilled several small holes and counter sunk in the bolt. The steel spacer I done the same.
If memory serves me correct the steel spacer is very hard and I ended up buying a hard cobalt or some type of harder drill bit to be able to drill out the steel spacer(s) for front and rear as well as the pivot.
On the front and rear bearings (that were new) I removed the inside dust seal so grease would pass into them.
You will be amazed at how much grease you will need to put in those cavity's to fill and have squish out. I seen postings by others that have done it and with great results. I have also seen a few postings saying it would not work and/or a waste of time.
I do not think it is a waste of time and it works well.
I got the idea when I was greasing up the wife's Polaris quad in those areas and thought why in the heck didn't Honda think about this 20 plus years ago if they was so "advanced".
Yep, go for it ~ very nice improvement IMO.

andrew j hyman
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
it seems the pivot bolt for the 83-85 is dicontinued. cant find a first gen on ebay. can first and second gen be interchanged?
or does anyone know where i can get one?

thanks Hi Do you know Honda part # I cna look thanks Andrew

big red hemi
12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Do you know Honda part # I cna look thanks Andrew

hi andrew the part number on bike bandit is 722860. according to bikebandit the part has been discontinued. look into it hope you come up with different info than i did.

i did how ever manage to score a bolt from yamahondamans auction just waiting buy the mail box.

thanks
jarret

big red hemi
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
On a 350X I used to own, I put 2 Zerk's in the front hub, swing arm bolt and rear carrier.
The brake lever I used 1 zirk.
The swing arm bolt is hollow on the 350x, no idea on the 200x but if it is I tapped the ends to thread in the zirks. drilled several small holes and counter sunk in the bolt. The steel spacer I done the same.
If memory serves me correct the steel spacer is very hard and I ended up buying a hard cobalt or some type of harder drill bit to be able to drill out the steel spacer(s) for front and rear as well as the pivot.
On the front and rear bearings (that were new) I removed the inside dust seal so grease would pass into them.
You will be amazed at how much grease you will need to put in those cavity's to fill and have squish out. I seen postings by others that have done it and with great results. I have also seen a few postings saying it would not work and/or a waste of time.
I do not think it is a waste of time and it works well.
I got the idea when I was greasing up the wife's Polaris quad in those areas and thought why in the heck didn't Honda think about this 20 plus years ago if they was so "advanced".
Yep, go for it ~ very nice improvement IMO.

thanks for the in depth post.

i drilled and installed a zerk in the swinger. i bought a pivot bolt from yamahondaman's auction. so i dont imagine that it is hollow, but i do think it is stainless, if that is the case i think i will just apply a but load of never seize to the bolt and reapply once a year.

your other suggestion are great to ill look into them

jarret

andrew j hyman
12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
hi andrew the part number on bike bandit is 722860. according to bikebandit the part has been discontinued. look into it hope you come up with different info than i did.

i did how ever manage to score a bolt from yamahondamans auction just waiting buy the mail box.

thanks
jarret Hi Would need a Honda Part # Bike Badit is some type of a code . You would have to go to a Honda dealer web site and look at there on line Honda fiche Andrew

JoeyStacks
12-22-2010, 06:21 PM

thanks
jarret

dont use bikebandit my local cycle shop uses another site very similar (I cant remember for the life of me right now what the name it) but they have ordered me parts that bikebandit said were discontinued
If anybody knows which site im thinking of let me know

TurboTacoma
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
www.cyclepartswharehouse.com beats Bikebandits prices... give them a try!

big red hemi
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
well i got it cased once all my parts showed up. waiting on parts when you live north of the boarder is painful at Christmas and new years. any way it runs fricken awesome now. new chain and sprocket, used axle and brg, pivot bolt and brgs .

next on to rear brakes rebuilding master cyl and caliper.
right now i am having trouble removing the plug/cover that retains the push rod. had it soaking in joy juice for to days but no dice. rusted solid

any IDEA'S?

THANKS JARRET

hondamaniac
01-08-2011, 09:36 AM
just curious,has anyone tried to see what a machine shop would charge to make that bolt? after looking at it i could make that thing in about 5 mins on a cnc lathe... out of any kind of material....
just a thought....
nate

big red hemi
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
i got this one from yamahondaman's estate sale. its stainless steal.
i never looked into having it made . i thought it would be expensive for a one off, but im guessing if ya had 200 made the price per unit would drop

hondamaniac
01-08-2011, 07:31 PM
well yea i m thinking for one the price ould be like 30 40 bucks... even with stainless steel the material is maybe 10 15 bucks at best.... might be worth looking into. theres alot of shops that will help people out with situations like these... i know i do =)