PDA

View Full Version : New Ebay carbs.

deeredoug
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Anyone bought any of those "new carburators" that are for sale on Ebay? My 200s runs crappy. Thinking it might be wore out. What size would I need? could I go bigger or bigger jets?

TatTooL23
12-06-2010, 12:00 AM
i was also wondering about getting one of these for my '87 200X. the carb i have on it works great but the choke handle is broke off. it will literally start the first kick no matter what, no choke. i have never seen that. so i almost dont wanna touch it but i am working on making it near mint.

zppeacock
12-06-2010, 12:36 AM
All my bigreds have ebay new carb on them. I cleaned the originals, new needles, adj the crap out of them and still couldnt get the machines to idle. Bought a ebay carb to try it and, they all idle and run fine. I have had good luck with them.

MonroeMike
12-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Rob's Review.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php?274-REVIEW-New-eBay-Keihin-200x-carb

deeredoug
12-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I am going to bite the bullet and buy one. Thanks for all the input guys.

ratvespa
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
we fitted a Chinese knock off carb on my freind 185 couple weeks ago. quality seemed ok, the jets had no markings on them, but we bolted it on, and it ran great. the only annoying thing was the return spring was way thicker and heavier, we tried the stock return spring and it was not enough to close it all the way.

k00leo
12-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I am actually thinking about picking a 400ex ebay carb for my 350x. hopefully it will turn out good.

rdlsz24
12-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I've had good luck with the eBay carbs. I won't even mess with rebuilding the stock carb if an eBay carb is available

Rob

k00leo
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
well i just bought an ebay carb for my 350x. hopefully the 400x carb will make the 350x easier to start and will give it some more throttle response.

deeredoug
12-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I got one and put it on my 200s. Started right up and idled fine. It falls on it's face when you give it full throttle. Made a few small adjustments. Idles and drives fine but still bogs if you give it gas all the way at idle. Any ideas why? Still runs better than stock 25 year old carb.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2010, 10:05 PM
i was also wondering about getting one of these for my '87 200X. the carb i have on it works great but the choke handle is broke off. it will literally start the first kick no matter what, no choke. i have never seen that. so i almost dont wanna touch it but i am working on making it near mint.

If it starts with no choke, your pilot jet is too big........ I'd go on classifieds and get a junk carb with a good handle.

three_wheelin45
12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
they suck... not good for a 200x cause it makes them run like a 200s(literaly) baught one for my 200x and felt a huge difference it ran about like my freinds 84 200s if not slower. cleaned my stock one up and found out it was ported from back in the day(that might be the signifintly big differnece). Bought it about a year ago used it a week cleaned the old one and put the "new" one in a cabinent and its still there. biggest piece of junk ever.

hillbilly 200x
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
i got one for my 200x. you may have to changed the main jet

tri-shee
12-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I bought one for my 1987 yamaha bigwheel bw 80 and it works fine . I had to use the oem carb throttle top . Great buy only $40 shipped to my door . I will buy another one for my other yamaha bw 80 .

Frankencelery
12-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Deerdoug, I have exactly the same situation. I put an aftermarket carb on my 200s, and it bogs the same way. Needle adjustments have helped some, but I can still stall it completely if I stab the throttle at idle. I've love to know what to do about it. Go back to an OEM carb, I suppose.

SeaBass8
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I put one on my 200s. Run fine I just need to turn down the idle a little.

I'm gonna get another one for my 86 200X but I'm gonna try the one for the XR200. Its a little bigger.

Anyone use this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190405804626&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

racer....X
12-24-2010, 11:56 AM
my brother got one for his 90 and it works well

Dirtcrasher
12-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I bought one also and it ran like crap. They are not model specific and the jets are odd. Sometimes you can't merely change the main jet.........

TurboTacoma
12-24-2010, 03:46 PM
When I bought my g/f's 200. It has one on it too. First thing I noticed after getting bike sorted out was.... It fell ob its face at W.O.T. The main jet was too small. Best I could read was 94.5 on it. I put a #102 main jet in it. The top end was right on at 12.8:1 instead of 16.9:1 to 17.1:1 I was seeing. Then got my idle right and played with the needle jet. Right now I am 1 3/4 turn out on idle mixture screw, #38 slow jet (came with the carb), 2 clip from top on the needle jet, and running #102 main jet. Mods are a uni airfilter, ported stock valve head, re ring job, cobra exhaust, and tuned with a LM-1 wide band. Also noticed that the idle screw didnt have an O ring on it like the stck carbs. Added one and the larger main jet to make it work right.

Frankencelery
12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
So Turbo, do you mean that it bogged from idle at WOT, or it bogged at higher RPM? The one I put in my 200s causes it to bog when you stab the throttle at idle, but once you're going, there's no bog at all. Trying to figure out if that's the idle jet or main jet causing it.

TurboTacoma
12-24-2010, 06:38 PM
So Turbo, do you mean that it bogged from idle at WOT, or it bogged at higher RPM? The one I put in my 200s causes it to bog when you stab the throttle at idle, but once you're going, there's no bog at all. Trying to figure out if that's the idle jet or main jet causing it.

Frank:

Yes, it bogged coming off idle and started to break up on the top end. I first moved the needle clip adjustment richer ,and richer, and it helped. But it the Top up end was breaking up, but not as bad. I used my Lm-1 to quickly check my AFR's and it showed both circuits not getting the proper fuel. As a starting point, I recommend you take the carb off the bike. Take the bottom off of it. Find out what slow jet you have and main jet. Then also see where your needle jet clip is at. The stock carb came like this from the factory.

Factory 200s Carb settings (Base Line)
2 turns to 2 1/4 turns out from closed (idle mixture screw), #35 slow jet, #3 clip on the (needle jet) #100 main jet.

Chinese Carb settings (I found)

No o-ring on idle mixture screw (replaced with one I had) 2 turns out from closed. #38 slow jet. #3 clip on the (needle) #94.5 main jet. (Way to Small!)

Current Settings due to mods done. (Exhaust, ported/polished head, Uni Airfilter, ReRing and top end seal)
1 3/4 turns out from closed (idle mixture screw) #38 slow jet. #2 clip from top (needle jet). #102 main jet.

I used the stock 200 carb setting as a baseline, and once I opened the carb up, I realized that I was off from stock even with some of the mods done before the top end rework. So I had a #98 main jet. Better then the 94.5 I had in my carb. It did bog and stumble with the #94.5, and then got much better with the #98. The Top End was still lean at 14.5 W.O.T. Then I knew a #102 would be close after the other work I did and made my adjustments from there. But either way my stock chinese carb wasnt even close to stock setting!

(To me it sounds like your needle adjustment if it stumbles off idle, but feels fine in the top end.) Idle mixture screw controls the first 0 to 1/8 turn off throttle. Then 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle is the needle jet. 3/4 to W.O.T. is your main jet. This is a baseline rule. Each circuit does blend into the next one though. Reason why my first needle clip adjustments were helping out the stumble off idle but not the top end with my needle jet and the 94.5 main jet it had. With the #98 main my top end improved but still had to play with the needle to correct my stumble/bog I had off idle. Also what color is your spark plug? Use that to help you get an idea whats going on.