PDA

View Full Version : Tecate help?

Eric
09-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Ijust got a 86 or 84 ? Tecate and need some advice and parts. First it needs a fly wheel ang cover my frind siad i could use a fly wheel from a honda 185 is this true?. i also need fork seals and fork oil which i could probly get from a dealer but i need to know what kind of oil to use.i could use any info i can get or any other parts. I would greatly appriteate any help. thax Eric tigerfan013@Yahoo.com

Yamaha_Rules69
09-26-2003, 09:49 PM
What does the tecate look like? Does it have the radiator mounted above the forks? If so, you have an 84 or 85. The 86's looked totally diffrent. To tell between the 84-85, the 84 would have a drum brake in the front. There is no diffrence between the 84/85's besides the 84 having drum front, and 85 having disc front. As far as the Honda 185 flywheel, I dont see any way it would work. They are made totally diffrent. For fork oil, I would run at least a 10 weight oil. Bel Ray is a good kind to get. If you want to, you can put in heavier bel-ray oil to increase the stiffness a little bit (15w up to 30w) I would recommend going to a motorcycle shop when you buy this, they usually have it on hand. Otherwise, you can buy some out of the dennis kirk catalog. I hope I was some help to you. )

articmp
09-26-2003, 11:06 PM
If you have an 86 Tecate you can get Yamaha seals part number 775519 they match the size you will need (41mmX53mmX10.5mm). Don't buy the leak proof brand - they suck! You can get the special tool to hold the inner tube at Dennis Kirk.com - part number 28-1973. You can get the parts diagram from the Kawasaki web site. It will help you with the lay out of the parts inside the forks. Make sure you have a good understanding of the process before attempting it. It is very easy as long as you have the understanding. You can do a internet search and find help pages. Good luck.

ATCMedic
09-28-2003, 02:22 AM
I don't think there is any way to use a Honda 185 flywheel on your machine. I do know that the flywheel from an 81 KDX 175 will work, you will need to use the stator from that bike also.