PDA

View Full Version : Bad spark cause bogging?

atcmatt
11-30-2010, 10:45 PM
On my 330r. Im leaning towards something electrical being wrong with it as it bogs hard on WOT. I have tried everything from 150 - 190 mains with no change! It runs fine from idle to mid range. It kinda seems to have a weak spark. Could the spark issue have anything to do with the poor performance at WOT? Im just confused as it runs so well at idle and through the mid range, soon as it gets to that 'on the pipe stage' it just dies in the butt!

Cheers

fabiodriven
11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Forgive me but I have had a couple of adult beverages this evening, but I feel the need to comment here. I read your other thread and it seemed as though you were in good hands so I didn't bother commenting.

I'm just going by memory so I could be totally wrong here, but I think my Tecate has a main jet in the 200 range, 210, 220, something like that? It sounds to me like you just don't have enough fuel getting to that biatch. If you're getting a high speed bog, and it improved with fatter jetting, why would you stop going up on jets? I would keep going until the bogging stopped. That's what I did with my Tecate. When I got it, it would fall flat on it's face as soon as it got on the pipe. I just jetted it fatter and fatter until it finally worked.

Please let me state again that I could be totally wrong about the jets I put in my Tecate, I'm just going by memory.

Sounds to me like she's starving for fuel. Fatten 'er up, what do you have to lose?

motorhead
11-30-2010, 11:56 PM
If you don't mind, I will just add my experience.

A weak spark will definitely cause drivability problems. I recently had a Cushman Three Wheeler here and it would idle fine; but would not pull hardly at all. You couldn't get it out of the driveway.

Through some diagnosing and parts switching I found it was the coil. Usually a coil problem will be temperature related, as it heats up it looses spark. But this was different, it did this cold or hot.

You may have an ignition problem; only allowing the fuel mixture to be burned at idle and not as you accelerate; but I'm not sure that is your problem this time.

I would look closely at the fuel system, (carburetor) on your machine. It sounds as if the carb isn't transitioning properly. It doesn't take much to mess it up. One plugged hole or orifice and it won't work correctly.

Motorhead

atcmatt
12-01-2010, 02:09 AM
I guess ill just try fatten it up. Ill have to order new jets the biggest i have is the 190. I think it gets worse (the bogging) as i go up in jet sizes. I think i may just lash out and buy a new ricky stator. Cheers

85_BIG_RED_250
12-02-2010, 05:45 AM
try a cooler plug