PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Big Reds: 250SX vs. 250ES

3WheelHouston
11-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Why would I want one over the other? We're considering getting a Big Red 250 and I thought the SX would be best right off, but what about the ES?

OldSchoolin86
11-13-2002, 08:42 PM
I didn't even now an SX was a big red and I used to ride my buddies quite a bit. :rolleyes:

I'd go with the SX.

3WheelHouston
11-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Well whatever it is. :D See that's how much I know about them. :oops:

OldSchoolin86
11-13-2002, 08:50 PM
lol, I thought you were teaching me something. I think we need someone else who knows what they're talking about to join in. :D

Dirtcrasher
11-13-2002, 09:05 PM
Although both fall into the utility trike catagory, the SX is a little more sporty than the ES. I have the SX and got nervous after I bought the basket case that it wouldn't be what I wanted it to be-but I love it. Even scrapped the front brake for weight and still looking to improve the rear shock. The trike moves along very well and jumps great too! It's also the lazy mans ride with an auto tranny and centrifical clutch. The ES had lots of racks in stock form - a different motor and the seat was flatter. I don't call the SX a big red. Although they are fun too :!: :!: :-D

Kilborg
11-13-2002, 09:18 PM
I have owned and ridden both machines. Theyre very similar, and quite a few parts are the same. I would go with the SX unless i knew i was to be doing serious work (a newer quad would be better for such anyway). The SX can be setup very easily for some work, the big red is just the better choice though. The sx is a great trail/fun machine.

BigRedRunner
11-13-2002, 10:51 PM
They are brothers pretty much. They have the exact same motor and tranny, except the SX's is painted black. Both are shaft drive, electric start, and reverse. The ES has bigger toolbox, rear and front racks. The headlight is also detachable and has like 10' of lead. The SX uses 22" tires and the ES 25". So the SX would probably get and go a little quicker, and wind up more when maxed out. Unless the gearing in the rear end is different, I dunno. If you can only get one, then get the SX for all around useage. I own the ES and love it. I'm lost without all the racks and stuff because I use it to haul everything. I want to get a 250r or something to go fast. The ES would be for work or taking into deep woods. I don't know where my 90 and 110 would fit in the picture though. I got 'em for nostalgia and they're the easiest to work on and transport.

3WheelHouston
11-14-2002, 12:29 AM
Well this will be for my grandfather's hunting purposes. So I'm thinking about the ES. However, the SX sounds like more fun when I get ahold of it so I dunno.

GlennMc
11-14-2002, 07:54 AM
3WheelHouston

If this is for your Grandfather to use for hunting purposes, the ES would be a much better machine. Larger wider tires are going to give better flotation and ground clearance in difficult off road conditions. The racks that came stock on the ES will also provide a place to mount gun boots and carry out that deer. I have a 1985 Honda ATC sales brochure that will provide details of all the differences. I could scan and e-mail the two pages to you if you want. GlennMc.

3WheelHouston
11-14-2002, 06:34 PM
OoOo please do

GlennMc
11-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Consider it done. I will scan and forward the info tomorrow (15th).

GlennMc.

GlennMc
11-16-2002, 12:14 AM
3WheelHouston
I have to apologize, I went to work this morning and I forgot to take the brochure with me to scan. I will take care of business on Monday.
Glenn.

ATC crazy
11-16-2002, 08:18 PM
I owned a Mint SX for about 4 years before i got my 450s. It was awesome. you could not kill that thing. The ES will be better for hunting purposes but if you want to have some fun doing it then get the SX. The SX is also great for hunting; put on some 25" tires and you will have the advantages of the ES with more performance. If you find a good SX, I would not hesitate to get it

Mike Fort Laud
11-17-2002, 03:12 PM
I had the best set up... I had an '85 250SX and installed a rear rack.

als250
11-17-2002, 06:00 PM
I like mine-'85 250sx w/200x frt. end.Like ATC crazy said ,You just can't kill them! For hunting purposes you could always add the racks.

Al

GlennMc
11-18-2002, 11:17 PM
3WheelHouston;

I e-mailed the pictures directly to you. They were large files to capture all of the text and image so you will have to be patient with the download. Hope they help. GlennMc.

84250r
11-19-2002, 12:50 AM
I would go with a 250Sx there great machines. Great power,speed,and a sporty ride. Use to have one then i sold it grrrr,boy that was dumb! :x