PDA

View Full Version : Painting an engine with rustoleum?

Xpress
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
My buddy just got done painting his DRZ 400E engine (inside the chassis) with rustoleum high heat paint, as a suggestion from someone he doesn't even know.

I'm not one to trust him, especially with things like this, but does anyone know how well the stuff holds up to being painted the traditional way, or even powdercoated? I'd like to hear some opinions on this before I consider trying it (over getting my engine painted).

Also, how well does it hold up on frames?

4cfed
11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
spray paint wont hold up on the frame well, will rub off where you boots touch, on the motor a engine enamal is fine, but will eventually rub off where it will get repetedly rubbed ( clutch cover and flywheel cover)

Mr_RPM
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
High heat spray paint works great for painting engines. It looses its gloss after some time but a quick touch up always fixes that. Also, can you even powder coat engines? wouldn't the heat mess with it? I could be VERY wrong as Im just guessing.

I have used engine paint from a can a lot and have never been disappointed.

f4istunna
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
i used black rustoleum bbq paint on a cpl engines in the past it holds up great, just dulls a little after a cpl times heating up

SWIGIN
11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
High heat spray paint works great for painting engines. It looses its gloss after some time but a quick touch up always fixes that. Also, can you even powder coat engines? wouldn't the heat mess with it? I could be VERY wrong as Im just guessing.

I have used engine paint from a can a lot and have never been disappointed.

I have my header powder coated with high temp powder IMO it holds up much better then paint.

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Rattle canned it in the frame? I'm sure it went all over the bolts, timing /crank cover etc etc. Auto paint with a hardner would stand up 10X to a rattle can and PC even better.

My 200X engine is all PC'd, you can't just stuff an assembled motor in an oven like a turkey, it gets torn down, sand-blasted and PC'd; Then rebuilt before reassembly........

swampthang
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
When you have a engine powder coated how do you keep from having excessive build up and clearance problems? I had a frame powder coated last week and it has some thick powder coating around the motor mounts and shock mounts and had to do some filing to get the engine and swinger,shock mount to fit can imagine if you had that kind of build up on engine cases. Did I just get a crappy job on my frame? Or is this the pay off for powder coating?

Mr_RPM
11-29-2010, 10:56 PM
I didn't know there was high heat powder coat, cool.

it all depends what your looking to spend. If your looking to just fix up an every day rider the rattle can will treat you good for what it is.

WIkid500
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
The best paint I have found for engines is plasti-kote engine enamel. it is resistant to gas. I wipe my engine down with brake clean and no black paint comes off on the rag. Stuff is awesome for that fact alone. I polished the covers my boots rubbed on, this eliminated the paint wearing off...

Xpress
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, gasoline was a problem with the paint, it just took it right off when his fuel line broke. :lol:

dirtjunkie85
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I have seen people who have powder coated just the head or just the cylinder and side covers and it looks absolutely awesome!! I havent heard much bad stuff about powder coating except the occasionaly complaint about making things hard to remount and such.

ktmbk
11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Rattle can jobs are what you make of them. If you prep, take your time, and clear coat they can come out really good looking - and do not rub off on your clothing (although over time with use any paint will rub off, just like stuff from the factory). I Don't have any powder coating experience, so I cannot tell how they compare. But I've done many great rattle can jobs in the past. I've found with engines and pipes the bbq paint works best, even better than the PJ1 oem match stuff. Don't bother clear coating them, it seems to cause more problems than not, besides ti's easier to touch up if you don't do it. Rustoleum seems to have taken over for the duplicolor paints in stores around here,I haven't tried their color match stuff but it seems to be the same. Plasticote paints also work well, but are getting harder to find here for some reason.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103096

^^Rattle can job^^
using duplicolor paints