PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch

Spaulding350X
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I was wondering what bran people recommend for a 350x clutch kit? I lost the clutch in my 85 350x today riding in the snow. I ride all terains but must mostly sand, and my trike is all stock.

scuba
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I know I am repeating this from another site, but I want to know the opinions too ........

I put a honda line set in my X last year and it left me stranded first time out. I don't know the true reason cuz I changed every thing from the basket, pressure plate and the side cover to a set of Kevlar Barnett's. I love it, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance on it. I know that in all of my searching that everyone swears by the OEM plates, but what the heck, my pressure plates were new and I only ride a few times a year. How long till they wear out? who knows ......... but it sure don't slip any.

** Spaulding ** My new OEM set of friction plates have been in a plastic bowl covered in oil for almost a year now, if you want them all ya gotta due is pay for the shipping and they are yours.............

SWIGIN
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
I have no idea why scuba had a bad experience with factory fibers but that is real rare. For nearly the last 20 years either me or my buddys raced 350x powered quads and over those years we have tried them all. Especially when my buddys 460cc big bore stroker 350x would eat a clutch just about every time he rode it.

His motor has the most brands of clutches in it so I'll use that as an example. He tried factory, EBC, Vesrah, Barnett, and 2 other brands that didn't ring a bell. Every time he would replace the fibers and steels, guess which ones held up the longest.......the factory discs. Guess which one only lasted a few hours.....the Barnetts.

This didn't really surprise us since it's well known that when a Barnett clutch slips it gets glazed and it never seems to recover. All the others recovered after slipping but the factory discs still lasted longer. The problem with this motor was normal HD springs were not near heavy enough and we found a spring that will hold up to a 460cc motor.

You can try and have good luck with any brand clutch but the barnetts will only last if they never slip. Now, with all that being said, I will only run factory fibers and steels since they are the best IMO.

SWIGIN
11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Here is some more food for thought.

I have known many pro atv racers, guys who sconced them and I know guys who wrenched on there quads. For the most part they all use factory Honda fibers and steel.

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I use OEM whenever I can, Barnett is 2nd choice. Maybe his weren't soaked 1st or he ran some type of oil with additives......

I beat my clutch bad, I am a heavy clutch user and I'm yet to burn one up. Some people don't leave any free play in the cable which isn't good for a clutch either.

scuba
11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
My OEM fibers had the stock springs holding them on, and they did fine on the trails at home, but when I took it out to the dunes it crapped out on me. I tend to clutch on the hills allot. I now have the HD springs on her. And along with all the other changes I have made, I am sure that I wouldn't have any problem with the factory ones.

oldtime3wheeler
11-29-2010, 11:05 PM
I threw an EBC dirtracer set in my x over a year ago. When I ride my x I ride it pretty tough. No problems yet. The only reason I went with it was it was recommended by a few frinds who raced quads and it was only like $70 for steels and fibers.

Spaulding350X
12-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the offer scuba, I may take you up on that if I decide to use the Honda fibers