PDA

View Full Version : 350x is making noise

ustin666
11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
350x is making noise I'm not sure if its normal or not. hear a video .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUptmc3kvE

Dirtcrasher
11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
You didn't recently replace the oil filter did you?? If it's backwards, the top end starves for oil.

Other than that, adjust your valves (cold) and adjust the timing chain.

Did you run low on oil? or not change it for awhile?

ustin666
11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
i just put new rings in it . when i put my filer Gage to check my valve clearing should it slid easy or be hard to pull ?

Dirtcrasher
11-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Did you check the ring end gap? Are they the right sized rings? Did you hone the cylinder?

Did you use any sealant on the rocker cover other than 3 bond, yamabond or hondabond and made sure to NOT put it in certain places per the manual?? If not, oil gets blocked. Did you use blue or red Form-A-Gasket??

Checking valves; Is the motor at TDC on the compression stroke? If your not sure what that is, someone else can take this over..........

ustin666
11-28-2010, 09:25 PM
i did not hone the cylinder. i used ford sealant my dad works at ford the sealant is gray and yes my piton was a tdc

Doppler
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
I think you need a new cam chain

4cfed
11-29-2010, 01:26 AM
sounds like the chain, valves would make a ticking or tapping sound, im hearing what sounds like the timing chain or tensioner along with a exhaust leak

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Did it make noise before you took it apart? or now after you put it back together? Is the head leaking air out the copper exhaust seals?

Did you adjust the valves?

Was it smoking? Why did it need rings? You should never put rings in without honing the cylinder first.

Which TDC was your piston at, the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke?

All these old air cooled heads have external oil lines or it comes up the head stud. People who have "winged it" usually put too much sealant on or in places that can't have any sealant, or oil flow is restricted which can lead to a noisy valve train.

I think I already mentioned low on oil being noisy and a backwards oil filter can be noisy because it also restricts oil flow.

If it wasn't noisy before, you may have done something wrong putting it back together.

SWIGIN
11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I have seen guys use a normal solid bolts in the external oil lines before. Did you use the right ones?

Dirtcrasher
11-29-2010, 06:37 PM
^ Wow, thats one I've never seen Swigin :lol: the things people do.......... "I just wanna ride it!!!!!" :lol:

SWIGIN
11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
^ Wow, thats one I've never seen Swigin :lol: the things people do.......... "I just wanna ride it!!!!!" :lol:

Wanna hear the BEST one ever?

I know a guy who just rebuilt his 250x back in the 90s. It was a Micky Dunlap CC motor, he got it all back together and it only ran a few minuets.

Long story short, He didn't know why he has a hole in clutch cover and in the side of the head.......he just ran bolts in so no oil would come out....lol

No oil line what so ever!!!!