PDA

View Full Version : Going GREEN ???

Rollingmenace
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Ive had my eye on this for a few years and i finally nailed the guy down....
86 Tecate ill have like 200 dollars invested
The Good Bad And Ugly
-Bike seems to have decent compression and it does run and ride but carb is junk
-Needs new fuel valve (petcock)
-very minor scrape in case from thrown chain not cracked or broken though
needs new shifter lever old one has been repaired and is jenky as hell may possibly -need new shift shaft havent dug into it too much
-kicker works well and doesnt skip but does not return (broken return spring and collar??)
-Wiring is all there but no headlight switch or key switch or anything but bike fires...
-Tank needs sanded (typical) Has no other plastics with bike other than jerry rigged banshee rears
-seat pan is there needs foam cover and hardware though
-Someone made a repair on pipe where stinger is but other than that looks good no dents and has aftermarket silencer
-all tires and wheels are in good shape no leaks or wheel dents or scrapes
-front and rear brakes all there and functional
-airbox is all there and complete
-everything else is there and appears to be in good shape . even has the swingarm skid plate attached

ive always wanted a T3
what do you all think ?? my plan if i were to pick this up is just to strip it and store everything untill all other projects are done and slowly collect parts and rebiuld it to be a rider

do you think its worth the 200 investment im thinking in absolutely worst case could make money back selling parts off of it.. it doesnt seem like a bad trike just was neglected a bit how hard are some of the problem parts to come by on thie thing... ie.. kicker not returning.. shifter and shifter shaft and fender and seat hardware things like that heres a pic... also any online sources for factory manuals ect...

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss170/rollingmenace/Going%20Green/GEDC0297.jpg

Xpress
11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I'd buy it. Even if you can't save it, you can still get probably around $300+ (and that's a guestimate) in parts by parting it.

onestop2050
11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Defenetly worth $200

dcreel
11-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Honestly, I'd buy it for $400.. Nice start..

tecat-z
11-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Honestly, I'd buy it for $400.. Nice start..

I agree. Ya gotta start somewhere. Long term projects are lots of fun if you have patients, and a vision of what you will have in the end. In many cases it takes years to do a complete build. 2nd gen t-3s are worth it due to their relative rarity.........

scooterroo
11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
yep agree with the above guys. grab it for 200. mine was in hell of lot worse shape then that and i paid 260 for it. you do your research, post want ads in the classifieds here and other boards, like .org, kawieriders, etc, you will find the parts. you can gt new oem plastics cuz they are still availible. hornetpowersports does the shrouds and headlight shells, so you can get all new plastics for it. also keep your eyes egay cuz parts show up on there too. and if you do buy and decide not to fix it it up, even though i am not a fan of parting trikes, but if you decide to go that route you would get well more then 200-300 for it. i have seen frames bring in 200 alone.

Rollingmenace
11-27-2010, 10:51 PM
well thanks for the feedback guys i plan on picking it up... no big hurry getting it back together ill take my time im working on finishing my 2oox and revamping my 250r this spring before i dive into the tecate

sportvette
11-27-2010, 11:58 PM
nice find. killer deal. bring that baby back to life! looks like banshee fenders were slapped on there. some of these trikes sure had it tough.

bigbadktm
11-28-2010, 12:14 AM
good find, it will definitely be worth it in the end