PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me???

ATCMedic
09-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Does anyone else get mad when they find people destroying perfectly good machines like this?? I'll tell you what, if you REALLY want to chop up a perfectly good bike like this PLEASE......sell it to me and walk away!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2433455213

sorry...........venting over here.........

Howdy
09-25-2003, 11:40 AM
I know this from experiance. Some times the only way to get what you need out of a machine is to part it out. I have parted a good 4 wheeler that wouldn't sell locally for $900. I parted it out on Ebay and here and it brought over $1400 in parts. While I do not like it, sometimes it is the only way to get what you need out of it.

I sold a nice running 87 Tecate for $1500, I then parted out a 86 roller Tecate that needed a lot of work ( cylinder, stator, and more ) and got well over $1600 for most of the parts. I tried to get $800 out of it as it was. Would I do it again? You bet I would. The machine made a good parts donor and probably helped keep many others going. Some of that money from the Tecate's was used for this site. I just do what it takes. I don't part them out unless I have too.
Howdy

TimSr
09-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Somewhere some guy has a chassis, and needs a motor. He will buy this one, and put it in, and he will have a running rideable trike. 20 other guys have pending "projects" and need a part. They will buy them, half will actually complete their projects, and there will be 10 more running trikes out there.

You sell this as one unit, you get less than what its worth, and "save" one trike. You part it out, you make money, and you just putt 11 trikes back in the field.

Save trikes by making yours an organ donor!!!!

ATCMedic
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
ummm...........I guess I should clarify a few things. First I would NEVER give anyone flak for doing what they have to during hard times. Second I'm not 'against' parting out ATC's I've done it on occasion myself. I guess I should have made it more clear my problem was the choice to wreck one that doesn't NEED ANY WORK, did you check it out? Look at the tires on it. My problem with this one is that he is taking a 1986 ATC200X, which we all know is a rare machine to begin with, that has MAYBE 40-60 hours on it since it was NEW. (30% tread wear on the ORIGINAL tires.....if you think I'm wrong with my hours estimate let me know how long you think it would take to get there) I sold my last 86 200X on ebay a little over a year ago, it went for $1800, it was in nice shape, but had a lot more time on it and personally I think his is worth more than mine was. Once they are parted, that's it they are GONE, not coming back. It seems like a big waste to to me to see one this nice get destroyed.

Howdy
09-26-2003, 10:20 AM
It seems like a big waste to to me to see one this nice get destroyed.

I can relate the that comment. I hate to part out a Nice machine. But what if you can't find a buyer for it complete? I know Tim Sr had a nice 86 200x for sale ( locally ) a year or 2 ago. I think after 6-8 months and no one would give him that much he decided to part it out. It sold rather quickly on Ebay ( 3-4 weeks ) in parts. It brought a lot more than $800 also. The only person that lost out was the buyer who was too Cheap to buy it whole. lol
Howdy

Albino
09-26-2003, 11:03 AM
You sold a 86 200x for $1800!!! Thats hard to beleive.I have a totally restored 84 r in new condition and I can't even get $2000 Cdn for it.I've spent over $3500 Cdn and countless hours on it.Parting it out might be my only option,even though its new with tons of aftermarket stuff on it.I have pics do you have the cash to buy it.

ATCMedic
09-26-2003, 12:33 PM
You sold a 86 200x for $1800!!! Thats hard to beleive.I have a totally restored 84 r in new condition and I can't even get $2000 Cdn for it.I've spent over $3500 Cdn and countless hours on it.Parting it out might be my only option,even though its new with tons of aftermarket stuff on it.I have pics do you have the cash to buy it.

It's true, the link to the eaby auction expired a long time ago, If you guys are interested and Howdy can direct me on how to post pics on here I'll see if I can post some of the ones I had in the listing. Have you tried selling it on ebay? I know in my area I usually have no problem selling trikes, but it seems like you get more on ebay than with local sales. I would have expected mine to go for $1200-$1300 locally(based on similar sales in the local trader paper), unless I wanted to sit on it for months and wait for someone to give me more. I set my reserve at $1200 on ebay and sat back to see what happened and it went up to $1800! It was all stock and clean. I have already had a few offers from people wanting to know if I want their machines (I wasn't really expecting any, but I guess I asked for them lol) I do buy them and restore them, and with two projects in the works and one more on the way I'm getting 'the eye' from the wife right now, we'll see how soon I can make some room. I'd like to see some pics of yours if possible. If nothing else maybe I can help find a buyer for you.

Albino
09-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Sent pics....I hope it went?Thanx .No I haven't tried e-bay that whole free trade thing don't work on this side,plus it seems like a pain.Why can't I just drive it there(somewhere in New England) on vacation and claim it got stolen. :)

ATCMedic
09-30-2003, 12:46 PM
here's an 87 in very similar condition to the 86 I sold, note the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6708&item=2434973673