PDA

View Full Version : what kind of clutch does the 250sx have?

k00leo
11-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Could someone please explain to me what type of clutch the atc 250sx has and how it works. I'm new to three wheelers and manual clutches. My Suzuki lt-160 has an auto clutch though you have to shift gears with your foot. It seems my sx has a manual clutch though doesn't seem to do anything. I can just shift gears like it is an Auto clutch.

Thanks in advance

Yamaha_Rules69
11-26-2010, 04:31 PM
It IS an auto clutch ,, The lever on the left handlebar is likely a rear brake lever, it has two - one for your foot, and one on the left handlebar. Good luck!

k00leo
11-26-2010, 04:42 PM
But the lever on the left side of the handle bar goes directly to the motor as if it was a clutch.

Yamaha_Rules69
11-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Is that how they went into reverse by first having to enguage that lever? I havnt owned a 250sx or been around them too much, but I know for sure that they dont have a hand actuated clutch.

Dirtcrasher
11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
The lever is pulled with the button pushed down for reverse. It attaches to the lower left of the clutch cover.

The way an "auto clutch" works, is that when you shift up or down the shift shaft has a linkage that mates to another linkage behind the clutch cover. When your foot moves, it pushes the clutch in just as if you were pulling in a lever like a dirtbike. If someone wanted to bother machining and welding, the SX could be changed to a manual clutch; They are exactly the same.

You have another clutch, a centrifugal clutch. Without that clutch, when you shifted into 1st or "super low" the trike would lunge forwards. This clutch works off of RPM's and throws 3 shoes outwards to grip until it's up to speed. At that point your not shifting and the main clutch is closed and driving you ahead.......

mtsnieg
11-26-2010, 08:56 PM
But the lever on the left side of the handle bar goes directly to the motor as if it was a clutch.

I believe the SX's are the same as the Big Red 250es's. On the left side bars there's a front brake cable goin to the front brake, duh. A choke cable goin to the choke. And the reverse cable goin to the bottom left rear of the engine. No clutch cable.

MonroeMike
11-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Look at page 1-11.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc250sx_85-87_servicemanual.pdf

fabiodriven
11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
On the left side bars there's a front brake cable goin to the front brake, duh.

Front brake on the left side, eh? Duh...

mtsnieg
11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Front brake on the left side, eh? Duh...

Yeah, duh, goes to the rear brake. ;)

CRAZY70MAN
11-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Front brake on the left side, eh? Duh... :confused::shiftyeyes: duh......... I love that word, never get's old and very expressive as well as clean! Glad that war is settled :lol::w00t:

k00leo
11-26-2010, 10:36 PM
So it seems that the lever on the left side is to engage the reverse? I simply just pull the lever and shift down and the reverse will be engaged?

Thanks all

jeswinehart
11-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, you pull back on the lever (step one)
After you get the lever pulled back you depress the little button with in thumbs reach on the same left side perch (step 2)
Step 3, depress the shift down for reverse.
*you need to be in neutral first before doing anything*
If you done it properly, and every thing is working properly, you will see your red light on the dash light up and you will be in reverse (if cable is adjust correctly)
Not to long ago I bought a Suzuki trike, a small cc one, and it said reverse somewhere on it and i jacked around for the longest time with it.
Finally I called a buddy named Howdy and asked him what the secrete was and man O man did he laugh :) ,,, he told me how to do it then I hung up on him :). It sure was NOT like anything I had ever seen before,,, sold that thing as soon as I could !