PDA

View Full Version : Honda 110atc spark advance

jvacura
11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm hoping you guys can help me out here a little bit. I recently picked up a 1981 110 from my uncle. Wouldn't start from the get go. I resealed the top end and installed new valves, replaced fuel lines, and main ignition coil. Problem I'm having is, I can't get the thing to even fire. It will pop once and a while but isn't even coming close to firing and running. I've tested the stator, pulse generator and coil and everything checks out. I have a new plug in and have good spark and compression. Even shooting some fuel into the cylinder and cranking it over does nothing.
Only thing I can think of is timing. I made sure the cam sprocket was in the correct position when I replaced it and I'm fairly confident that end of it is correct. Valves were adjusted to spec when replaced. What I'm wondering is, would bad springs in the mechanical spark advance cause a no start? The springs seem really stretched out and the lobes are pretty loose. I have a motor from a 1980 110 (points no CDI). Are the mechanical spark advances the same in them?
Thanks,
Jon

greenhuman
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Make sure the the advancer pickup centre bit is not at 180 degrees out. This will make it fireat the bottom of the stroke.
The points advancer won't work but the springs might interchange.

jvacura
11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Advancer pickup is in correct. I double checked it.

greenhuman
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Take the pull start off, take out the plug, unscrew the plug cap off the lead, hang on the end of the lead and earth out your hand on the engine case and turn the flywheel by hand and see when you get the bump. Naturally it should be when the F mark on the flywheel lines up on the case mark.
It still sounds out in either the timing or advancer. Even if you were out a tooth one way or the other it should do something.
Triple check.

jvacura
11-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I got it running. I ended up adjusting the brass colored plate that the pulse generator mounts to. I had put it back in in the same position as the previous owner. Turns out it was advancing the spark to far. I moved the plate a couple degrees counterclockwise and two pulls later she was purring like a kitten. Funny how something so simple could cause so many headaches.
Thanks,
jvacura