PDA

View Full Version : 84' ytm225dx pulls hard to the right!!!

rjp225dx
09-24-2003, 07:09 PM
like the topic says, 225dx is pulling hard to the right. i'm not sure how long it's been doing it, i just started riding it again this week after about 5 years. Two things i've noticed, (1)rear axle has loose play on rh side. (2)when i first got it about 10 years ago, we had to weld the swingarm on the right hand side. The metal that runs from the bearing tube to the axle tube was broke in half, so we welded it back together adding angle iron for support. My question is, would the bad bearing cause this? I have measured the distance from the swingarm bolts to the axle housing on each side, and they are both the same so i don't think its dog tracking. Thanks for any help, comments, or opinions.

Wickedfinger
09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
It could be the bearings as you said or an oil problem in the forks (the forks are non-air adjustable and sealed so we can rule out an air problem) - but - I think the most likely cause is a bent fork. Pull them out of the trees and take a look down the shafts you'll probably see a small crease and a bend right below where the lower tree clamp bolts on. If they are actually bent, and its not too bad, you can prolong the forks life by simply turning the shaft either a 1/4 way to the inside or outside (I prefer to the outside, I think Howdy prefers to the inside :? ) and then tighten back down the tree clamps. This will eventually cause the seals to wear unevenly and probably leak, but depending on how much you ride that could take forever.

rjp225dx
09-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, i guess i was concentrating on the rear axle so hard that i overlooked the obvious. i know i replaced the front bearings when i first got it, guess it threw me off :rolleyes: . i'll check it out and report findings.

RacerRichie
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Bent fork most likely the right.

short4stuff
09-25-2003, 01:30 PM
check for the same amount of air pressure in each rear tire.

rjp225dx
09-25-2003, 05:44 PM
thanks guys, i'll check it all out. it's gonna have to wait for now, just started 3rd shift last night :( .