PDA

View Full Version : case bolt torque

badtriz
09-24-2003, 02:59 PM
i rebuilt my whole motor and when you tighten the four bolts that are behind the stator to a certain extent, the crank is harder to turn by hand, and was wondering if that would be a factor in performance or drag, or will it eventually break in. another question. what would happen if you moved the two radiator hoses around on a z that connect from the water pump to the radiator, and the one that goes from the head to the motor?say you put the one from the pump to the head and and switch the other one. stupid question but im pretty much guessin that it wouldnt work and overheat in like 5 minutes. but, you never know.

ATCMedic
09-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Did you rebuild/have your crank rebuilt? if so it may not have been pressed completely together. If that's the case you will definately have performance problems, and eventually engine damage. How tight is it getting?

badtriz
09-26-2003, 02:58 PM
i did have the crank rebuilt, it was by a well known engine builder in town that rebuilds all of the yamaha shops engines, but when you tighten it up to an extent, the crank is harder to turn, i cant remember how tight because the motor is put back together now. should you be able to tighten the bolts completely tight with no gain in friction? sounds like you should be able to, now im starting to doubt.

ATCMedic
09-26-2003, 09:39 PM
yes you should be able to fully torque the case bolts with no noticable amount of added friction on the crank. It should turn freely and smoothly. Keep in mind that you will get a SLIGHT drag from the oil seals, more so if you didn't lube them during assembly(which you should always do), but if you noticed the crank get tighter as you tightened the case bolts it sounds like the crank isn't fully pressed to me. It doesn't take much to throw things off, if one of the crank throws is .005" off you will bind up to the point the crank won't turn anymore.