PDA

View Full Version : My first, but yet another 85 200x rebuild.

ama009
11-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, I bought my first trike about 2 months ago. It smoked, so I knew I would have to rebuild soon. So, here I go! 3WW is an awesome forum for this. So many great ideas and shots of encouragement from all the great pics on here. Anyway, I started taking it apart and cleaning parts little by little everyday. The oil seemed like it had never been changed since 85. The piston and cylinder were still stock, and the piston had melted and became part of the cylinder wall. I will post pics of the piston later. I honed out the cylinder until clean. I am going to keep it the stock bore for now. I thought about boring it out, but I don't want to have to buy racing fuel or have to put octane boosters in it all the time. Although, I am going to go with a Wiseco piston. Here is what I have so far. I really appreciate any input as to mods I should do while all disassembled that will improve performance while still maintaining endurance. I.E. hot cam? valves? so on. Thanks guys. Also, constructive criticism is welcome.

ama009
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Got after it!

Stonecoldchavez
11-17-2010, 10:49 PM
For my 200x I went with the Poweroll 198cc kit (10.5:1) and their Torque cam, with heavier valve springs and timing chain.

http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_XR200.htm

ama009
11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
How does it run? big difference? I see you spent a pretty penny on those parts. I didn't bore mine out but I was going to get the wiseco standard bore 10.5:1 compression piston. That way I could still get the torque cam which says no machining required. Did you run into any problems?

Stonecoldchavez
11-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I spent a pretty penny on parts...and the install. The Powroll kit requires a 1mm overbore; bumps the cc's to 198 and compression to 10.5:1. I had the mechanic doing the work clean up the ports, deck the head for a good seal. It runs great. Strong too. No problems at all. Runs good with the 20" RAZRS too. Jetting might be a smidge off now that is colder up North. I have it jetted to run with open holes in the airbox. I started it Sunday with no choke and it ran well. I have yet to pin it out in top gear. Soon though. :) I do mostly tight trail riding, that is why I went with their torque cam. 2nd gear pops right up off the throttle. I am concerned how long the stock clutch will last. ;)

S.

ama009
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Are the RAZRS you got like these? http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M932-Razr-Rear-Tire/dp/B000GY6CDY
This may be a noob question, but what is the difference between opening holes in stock air box, and replacing it with a aftermarket filter? I am assuming that you get better protection from water with the stock box, but how does it affect the jetting? I thought the more air you get the better? BTW, my valves are shot! i have to replace them. I shined a flashlight at it and you could see all kinds of light going through the valve seat.
The clutch is another issue I have to tackle. I am on a tight budget, so this project may take a while! : ( I hope I can get it done by the end of January.

Stonecoldchavez
11-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, those are the RAZRS, but I got the 4-ply vs the 6 ply you have in the link. The 6-ply's are heavy for the little 4 stroke. Go with the 4-ply ones.

I have holes in the airbox because more air + more fuel = more power. I also run a Uni filter. I keep the holes in mind when crossing water. I am not really into blasting into mud holes like with a 4x4 atv.

Good luck to you! These things are an addiction that is for sure.

ama009
11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Addiction! my wife told me yesterday that I had to go to rehab for my addiction. ;) So, last night I was rebuilding the transmission and had a quart of oil on the table that i was using to lubricate. Well, I left the cap off!! (big mistake). My 1 1/2 year old son was in the garage playing around with a bat. I was so concentrated on the gears that I did not notice him getting underneath my chair. Suddenly, lifts the bat hitting my hand and knocking all the gears off, making me hit the quart of oil and spilling it on the table. Now all hell has broken loose, I am stumbling to find a rag to clean the oil before it falls on the floor. When I turn back, the oil has already begun to fall on my son's head and down his face. $hi%#, he froze in place. Well, that ended my building session for the night. Took like an hour to get all the oil off of him.

sugarhead
11-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Thats the ticket ! get em started as early as possible.:D Im also working on an 85 got the rear brakes and pedal working and from sticking.Had to flush it good,tried the front but the screws were so welded I had to drill em out same w the back but I was able to get the 1 drilled screw out in the rears. Trying to get em out of the front master cylinder it snapped a piece off the cup,&*((()*&. Got the rebuilt carb back on and hooked up fuel lines and fuel is pouring out of the bowl onto the motor.Awe mother fudger back to the drawing board.Its cleaning up nice tho and was a great way to end the thanksgiving weekend by diddling around w something I love. Engine fired but w no pipe an no back pressure it wouldnt run and it kicked thru very easy,hope thats due to no back pressure and not an engine problem.Anyway yall have a great nite;)

ama009
12-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Ok, so it has been a couple of weeks since I posted any update to my build, so here is the latest. I painted the frame with Rustoleum high heat (let's see how long it lasts). The gasket set came in along with the new valves, and seals. Putting the transmission back together was kinda tricky, but the manual helped a ton. If it wasn't because I mixed so many parts together, it would have been easier. So now, I have to wait until I can get the piston and clutch kit to close up the motor. This baby is not going to be for show! I am planning on riding it hard and my kids will make sure of that, so I just wanted to make it nice and have the motor running strong. Here are some pics.
11169411170911170811170711170611170511170411170311 17021117011117001116991116981116971116961116951117 10

kasey200x
12-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Nice job on the paint, what kind did you use? I did mine today, using High Temp BBQ paint. 600degrees steady heat short times up to 1200 degress. Hopefully it will last.
How did you go about replacing the seal for the output shaft? Did you remove the bearing?
kasey

ama009
12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
I used Rustoleum high heat up to 500 degrees because I tried the 2000 degree paint first but the color was way off. This red seemed to be closer to the original. The seal for the shaft was real easy to remove on mine (probably because I had the whole thing torn apart). No, i did not remove the bearing.The bearings all looked fine to me so I left them in and only changed the seals. I hope I don't regret that decision.

Jerm1179
12-16-2010, 09:37 AM
:shiftyeyes: i can honestly say i have never seen anyone rattle can their brakes :|

oldskool83
12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
:shiftyeyes: i can honestly say i have never seen anyone rattle can their brakes :|

i have...you'll waste your pads also. im not a fan or spraying parts like this. its just not right.

DirtDevil
12-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Looks great. I would take the paint off of the disk and sprocket, though. The first time you press that brake, you're gonna have a mess on your hands. Also, you don't want any of that gummy paint getting into the chain plates and o-rings. Looks awesome, though. Looking forward to more pics.

ama009
12-16-2010, 11:58 AM
i have...you'll waste your pads also. im not a fan or spraying parts like this. its just not right.

Nothing a little razor blade can't fix, but thanks for the heads up!

ama009
12-16-2010, 11:59 AM

First time for everything i guess.

ama009
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Looks great. I would take the paint off of the disk and sprocket, though. The first time you press that brake, you're gonna have a mess on your hands. Also, you don't want any of that gummy paint getting into the chain plates and o-rings. Looks awesome, though. Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks bud! I was going to leave the old pads on and tap the brakes a couple of times to get it out, but with what you just said, I will scrape it off. The rear brake caliper was frozen! I had a hell of a time breaking it lose then getting them to work smoothly. I definately don't want to mess it up with just paint. I appreciate the interest.

ama009
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Finally got around to posting some more pics.

ama009
01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Here are some more.

CanadianThomas
01-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Nice build. Being a Canadian, I'm taking all the blue out of my 200x so it's just Red and White with black accessories but I must say this is a very nice 200x build. Way to go dude! Whats next?

k00leo
01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Love the colors, keep up the good work

edog
01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Your saving a trike....that's all that matters here.....who fing cares if you rattle can it.....have fun and keep on triking!!!!!

Looking good!

big red hemi
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
great work for your first time. i think your spending money in the right places

i love working on the trikes with my 1 1/2 year old. its fun trying to distract him long enough to swing a hammer at a pivot bolt, so he does not get in the way when he comes to investigate.

ama009
01-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys! so true edog. I am learning an incredible amount about these machines! I am happy with how it is going especially for the first time. I have a much better idea on how much you can spend on a rebuild. I am having a blast!! thats for sure.