PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating unsolvable 200X carb problems

Xpress
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes, I know, ANOTHER topic about a carb, high idle, and the likes.

But this time I can't find anything wrong with my carb, or the intake boot! Spraying a bit of starter fluid around the intake boot does nothing, it sits, and the idle remains the same, when it does idle.

I've cleaned the carb a couple of times, even soaking it overnight in cleaner, and nothing. At running temperature, there is no idle RPM, it's either excessively high, or not running at all. There is nothing in the slide, I've already tried moving the C-clip on the needle with no success, and the idle adjustment screw is for looks at this point. All the while it's now difficult to start if I can start it. The throttle cable isn't sticking, as far as I can tell, and moves pretty freely.

The last thing I want to do is buy a new carb, or even buy a chinese knockoff which probably will work for a month, then go downhill, and I don't think a rebuild kit would solve my problems. I'm at a standstill as to what I should do.

The valves are all properly adjusted, and I just did an oil change. When I'm riding, the engine is working flawlessly, like it should, but it just refuses to idle. Swapping thumb throttles from my T3 did nothing, as I thought it could have been a sticky throttle. Everything points back to the carb, which looks like it's original. Changing the air filter with a new one did nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem could be????

EarlyBronocGuy
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
It might not be a carb problem at all - double check your ignition timing, pulse generator gap, and spark plug. Make sure the centrifugal weights on the advance mechanism aren't stuck, and that the springs are both on and not broken.

I fought carb problems for weeks on one of my trikes, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, adjusted, checked, tried everything - finally spent $30 bucks on eBay for a new carb, bolted it on, haven't had a problem since. Sometimes the original carbs just wear out, fighting it just drives you nuts.

rdlsz24
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I fought carb problems for weeks on one of my trikes, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, adjusted, checked, tried everything - finally spent $30 bucks on eBay for a new carb, bolted it on, haven't had a problem since. Sometimes the original carbs just wear out, fighting it just drives you nuts.

Same here..... I spent a lot of time and money on my tired oem carb trying to rebuild it. Still had high idle, adjust it, then it would die. Pull it off, clean it, no difference. I was against the knockoff carbs too until I tried it and my 200x idled like never before. I picked up a 110 over the weekend and it needs some carb attention. I'm not even going to mess with trying to rebuild it, just going to buy one from Zoom Zoom Parts on eBay

Rob

4cylinders
11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
hey, have you tried cleaning the bowl vent? tube or fitting comes out the side of carb to let air into the float bowl.

Iprefer3
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Does this carb have an idle air bleed screw? If it does set it to factory specs.

Grizzlypeg
11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I know you have soaked the carb, but have you made sure the idle passages are in fact clear? You should be able to shoot fluid or air through them to check.

Xpress
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Yup, they're clear as can be. I think a chinese carb might have to be my only option.