PDA

View Full Version : What are common 250SX modifications?

6shooter
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
well since the last time i owned a trike was about 15 years ago, im kind of outta the loop on mods and whatnot. I just bought my 86 250SX this weekend, and I'm already lookin at simple but worth while mods for it. So far, ive read about the 350X carb swap and the 200X front end swap. Can someone elaborate on these two mods for me, as well as suggest any others? the quad runs perfect, doesnt leak or burn oil, and i only paid $500 for it, so i wont mind puttin a little money into it to improve it slightly. i am definitely lookin into tires for it, and im wondering what other rims will fit on it. it has the 8" rims on it now, id like to go bigger if possible. is there a difference in 200x or 350x rim size? if they're bigger, like 10's, will they bolt onto my hubs? thanks!!

Big Mike
11-14-2010, 04:48 PM
The mods I have done to my 250sx do far is a set of rear wheel spacers, an aftermarket air filter, and a set of aftermarket handlebars. It has a set of Wooly Boogers on the back that go through just about anything I have tried so far.

TheRealFatShady
11-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Make it into a Fat-Cat. Or a snorkel, trx250 or big red swingarm and rear end, larger mudding tires, and a rear rack.

Well, those aren't exactly common, per se.

200XMichigan
11-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Why a TRX250 or Big Red swing arm? What does it do for the handling?

TheRealFatShady
11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Extends it, so you can fit larger tires, have a sturdier wheel base. And lowers the gearing.

matt86200x
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Extends it, so you can fit larger tires, have a sturdier wheel base. And lowers the gearing.

And disc brakes i believe?

the great gazoo
11-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Nope, but there is a conversiopn kit for the trx300 that will work, I can't remember where I saw it now but I posted it up here about 6mos back........

6shooter
11-14-2010, 07:08 PM
the reason im interested in the 200x front end is mainly for the brakes, and the (im assuming) better suspension travel. i wouldnt mind disc rear, but i wasnt aware that there were ever shaft drive hondas with rear hyd disc brakes. i dont wanna give up the shaft drive, thats for sure.

86trizinger
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
The 200x is a great front end upgrade.. Lightens the front up, better suspension travel and a disk brake.
I would recommend a good exhaust, Uni filter, maybe a 350x carb.. but I haven't gotten mine to run great yet. I should have kept the stock carb. Watch changing the exhaust.. My studs broke so I wound up having to completely pull the top end off to fix it.

10" rims will fit in the rear.. Not all 8" wheels do though. Stock I think they had 22" tires.. Mine currently has 20" tires but I want to go back to the 22" tires if I keep it. I also put a better shock on the rear but I am still trying to fine tune the spring rate so far.

6shooter
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
10" rims will fit in the rear.. Not all 8" wheels do though. Stock I think they had 22" tires.. Mine currently has 20" tires but I want to go back to the 22" tires if I keep it. I also put a better shock on the rear but I am still trying to fine tune the spring rate so far.

will 10" rims be something i'd find on a 200/350X or other quad, or would i have to go aftermarket? im gonna keep 22's on mine, i want super swampers. i had those on my banshee and that thing was unstoppable, even in a foot of snow. as for the rear shock, i dont wanna dump $400 into an aftermarket shock for a $500 atc. if i can swap one off another atc/atv, thats something id be interested in. i found a 200x about 90% complete, guy wants $400 for it, but unless i can use just about everything off of it, its not worth the investment for me.

TheRealFatShady
11-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I've heard of a 2001 Raptor 660 shock working, but I don't believe he had the linkage set up on it.

6shooter
11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
I've heard of a 2001 Raptor 660 shock working, but I don't believe he had the linkage set up on it.

yeah, basically all you need are two measurements. the expanded length from eye to eye and the diameter and width of the bolt/collar to mount it.

86trizinger
11-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I am the one who has the Raptor shock on mine, only 2001 had the external reservoir that's adjustable. I have $15 into my set up so far. It only took a small spacer and a small area to be ground for clearance. So far the spring rate is a little stiff yet on flat ground. I have jumped it about 4 ft off the ground so far and feels great when it lands. I am having carb issues so once I get those figured out I will try and gret the spring rate narrowed down.

TheRealFatShady
11-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I am the one who has the Raptor shock on mine, only 2001 had the external reservoir that's adjustable. I have $15 into my set up so far. It only took a small spacer and a small area to be ground for clearance. So far the spring rate is a little stiff yet on flat ground. I have jumped it about 4 ft off the ground so far and feels great when it lands. I am having carb issues so once I get those figured out I will try and gret the spring rate narrowed down.

Any plans for the linkage set up on it? And maybe they have different springs for the raptor shock. If I ever get around to turning mine into a Fatcat, I want to have a separate setup with better suspension.

Dirtcrasher
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't go nuts improving on the SX suspension. The swingarm/axle/whole back end just bends. 4' will do it, trust me............ Just one flat landing.

You can't bolt a diff to a swinger, bolt that to axle housing s and not have weak links all over the place.

The SX is great and has it's place; I've learned to move onto trikes meant to jump if I wanna jump.

6shooter
11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
The SX is great and has it's place; I've learned to move onto trikes meant to jump if I wanna jump.

yeah, im not lookin for building it into a racer or anything. maybe just a more modern, better trail shock. i popped the front end up over my driveway today and bottomed the front shocks out when i landed, so finding a 200X front end is top on the list right now. the back end feels just the opposite, way too stiff and i was curious if there are any better shocks out there that dont cost an arm and a leg.

Dirtcrasher
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
A 200X front end is a great addition. Just be aware you'll need:

New steering stops welded on the frame, old ones removed.
Complete brake system (working).
Hub with disc, good bearings.
Front axle.
Front wheel and tire.
Forks and triple trees.
The forks will need rebuilding and probably some 1" long spacers.

If you can get someone to sell you the whole sha-bang, thats the best way to do this.

6shooter
11-15-2010, 12:26 AM
A 200X front end is a great addition. Just be aware you'll need:

New steering stops welded on the frame, old ones removed.
Complete brake system (working).
Hub with disc, good bearings.
Front axle.
Front wheel and tire.
Forks and triple trees.
The forks will need rebuilding and probably some 1" long spacers.

If you can get someone to sell you the whole sha-bang, thats the best way to do this.

i was just looking at 200x parts on ebay when you replied. i was wondering if the fork tubes are the same diameter from an x to mine. couldnt i just switch out forks, instead of doing the whole triple tree and everything? i found a guy local selling a complete wheel/tire/hub/disc assembly from a 200x for $65, so i wouldnt have to pay for shipping for that atleast.

p.s. will ANY year 200x front end work on my sx if its triple trees and all? thanks.

RDH/86200X
11-15-2010, 12:59 AM
i would stick with the 8'' rims because next year all mx four wheelers will be running 8'' rear rims so that means more tires avalible im putting 8'' rims on my 86 200x because i cant find any tires that i like enough to put on my stock 9'' rims

Dirtcrasher
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
You can do that, yet still have a wide and narrow front end.

You have to run a disc with the narrow tire and unless you have a way to center it, it will be offset way over.

Oh yeah, and you'll have to make your own collars/spacers for the axle......

Rotten
11-15-2010, 01:49 AM
My 86 250sx has a 200x front end and 25x11x10's on the rear