PDA

View Full Version : do i need a special tool to remove my tecate races ?

TecateDan
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I am going to have the frame sandblasted and it is completely stripped but I want to remove the races before I send it out. Has anyone done this? Anyone know where I can get or how to make this tool. Oh yea can u still buy new grease seals for the stem?

fabiodriven
11-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the swing arm bearing races? If so, I'm pretty sure I drove mine out with a long tapered drift.

If the other thing you're talking about is the steering stem, I do not know the answer to that question but I would love to know it. One way to find out is to send an e-mail to the parts people at Bikebandit and ask them if the particular part number you are looking for is discontinued or not. There is a diagram with exploded views that list every part, where they go, and what the number is. Just because they list a part number it does not mean the part is available. These diagrams are actually great to use as manuals too. I used only the Bikebandit parts schematic to assemble my bottom end last time it was apart.

jeswinehart
11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I just bolt 2 pieces of wood together using a short piece of thread rod and draw them tight together to keep paint and stuff from getting in there.

Dirtcrasher
11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Tap them out, side to side with a brass drift so you can re-use them or just smash them out and get an All Balls kit......

cr480r
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Tap them out, side to side with a brass drift so you can re-use them or just smash them out and get an All Balls kit......

just dont buy a stem rebuild kit from moose racing.. the seals that came with mine are incorrect for the tecate. everything i've ever gotten from all balls has been good.

Dirtcrasher
11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
^ I got some MOOSE seals/bearings for a Wolverine. They were 4mm narrower than the OEM seals and didn't contact the front CV axles.

I think All Balls suk because no directions are supplied (do I use this washer or not?) but MOOSE seems even worse.........

TecateDan
11-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Where can I buy and what is an all balls kit?

jeswinehart
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
dads is a member and a All Balls dealer. I highly recommend him since he has done me so well on several transactions for my bearing needs.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php?691-Dads

fabiodriven
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
^^^Sorry Johnny, we must have been posting at the same time!^^^

All Balls is a company that supplies bearings, races, and seals. Looks like these are your boys here- http://www.bikebandit.com/all-balls-motorcycle-steering-stem-bearing-kits?mg=5012&t=1&td=1

Double check that part # so I don't get blamed if they don't fit.:D

jeswinehart
11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
No problem ! I think Mosh's are All Balls dealers too (?), they do so darn much stuff I can't keep up with what all they do.

Maico
11-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Unless the races are trash...just have tape them off at the steering head.

Dirtcrasher
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Where can I buy and what is an all balls kit?

Once an "All Balls" kit is installed you'll ride like a possessed demon, no jump too large, no hill too tall....... :D