PDA

View Full Version : Ruined my once immaculate 250R seat. any help?

tremulant3fr
11-12-2010, 05:23 PM
So for the summer my bike was in storage. went awhile without even seeing it. put the bike in my shed standing up because there isnt much room for anything in my shed and the bike was taking up a majority of that space. anyway within those months i had no contact with my baby a rubber gasket on my petcock seemed to have exploded somehow and all the gas began to run down the frame and was collected by the spongy seat.... theres no emotocon that could express how angry i was when i saw this.

i tried cleaning it but the sponge on the inside is still soaked with all the oil from the gas. left the bike in a bit of sun and the oil begins to sweat out of the seat, ive now lost hope in salvaging it :( anyone know where i could find a seat for cheap? or any ideas on saving this one?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/DSC01410.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/DSC01411.jpg

Bretmd94
11-12-2010, 05:35 PM
:cry:

I'm sorry, maybe get the cover removed and try to replace the foam? I don't know, that sucks.

tremulant3fr
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM
i actually thought about doing that. im wondering if the cover would survive though its the original seat

Xpress
11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I'd try to carefully remove it, then wring all of the gas out of the foam. Then maybe you can clean the seat with a steamer or something.

Next time remove the gas before storing :)

tremulant3fr
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
a lessoned learned sadly. ill most likely get to it this weekend. im hoping for the best ill post pics if theres any success. for now ill continue cursinng at the broken O-ring from the petcock ha

RIDE-RED 250r
11-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I think member MOSH is good with seats and covers....maybe try him and see what he suggests???

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Maybe it's an ethanol stain............

That stinks, nice OEM seat gone bad. Oh well, get use to our precious parts going away.

tremulant3fr
11-12-2010, 07:08 PM
avoid getting lazy and those nice parts stay nice ::fact::

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2010, 07:22 PM
^ I don't think he was lazy, he merely stored it and unfortunately gas/mix made it's way to the seat.

Plenty of us run out of room, get seperated/divorced and just have to move stuff out FAST!

I'm sure he didn't expect this.

Yep, just contacted Mosh and/or Mrs.Mosh. They make some excellent reproductions..........

cattle-dog
11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
he was taliking about himself

Twilight
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
^ DC you realize thats the OP of the thread?

I did the same with my seat, not much you can do im afraid... sorry. You can save the foam, dry it in the air and then wash it. If you try to wash too soon, it falls apart.

Mosh
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I am sorry to see that..Unfortunately, there is probably no way to bring that back with any cleaning methods we have found. You coud try a magic eraser and some murphy's oil soap.
If that dont work, we can make it look brand new..Well at least 97% new.

If your foam has heavy mold in it, it bleeds through the cover..We do offer new foam if you need it.
Click the link to see some work we have done.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?117039-Cosmic-Quads-custom-seats-and-covers...8-years-worth-of-work-in-here.

aldochina
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
like stated, i would say your best bet would be to carefully remove the cover, wash the foam in the tub or something, let dry. not sure what to try on the cover, after that amount of time, some of the discoloration probably has set in. I bet you can get alot of it off though. Can only imagine how pissed you were.

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2010, 09:31 PM
OK, change "he" with "you". Done.......... :lol:

I thought someone was bashing him, I DO actually defend people once in awhile :D

Maybe Lestoil would work, it's an oil based cleaner.... Fixed many a pair of jeans for me when I was a kid.

jeswinehart
11-12-2010, 09:54 PM
avoid getting lazy and those nice parts stay nice ::fact::

What in the burning sands of hell are you talking about (!) ?

code200k
11-13-2010, 01:51 AM
What in the burning sands of hell are you talking about (!) ?

think he means if he took the proper effort to store the trike his seat would still be good

D-dub
11-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Try liquid lighter fluid. I know it works for grease on clothing. I guess try everything, you really got nothing to lose with that seat cover

jeffatc250r
11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Ouch! Whens flag day? Have it ceremonially burnt while you shed a tear.
Sheit happens, mosh can make it look like new.

fordnut79@hotma
11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I've had several trikes over the years and sometimes gotten gas on the seat while refilling. Seemed like a month later that part of the seat would be hard and starting to crack. This happen to anyone else?,chime in
i would suspect the same to happen to your cover

tremulant3fr
11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
think he means if he took the proper effort to store the trike his seat would still be good

^^^what he said. it was a small leak when i stored it i used a gasket maker as a temporary fix. bought the pet cock 2 weeks later but never installed it.

@fordnut i spilled gas on it all the time while refilling. had the trike since i was 15. guess it depends on the condition of the seat when the gas was spilled on it. armor all seemed to have helped it make it this far in my opinion

@ Ddub i tried cleaning it today and the cover just may have a chance still:w00t:

@jeffatc the ashes will be sprinkled on to the foam of the new seat OR released into the wind my next trip to glamis;):crazy:

tremulant3fr
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
@ Mosh those seats on your link are siiiik if my efforts on this seat fail ill definitely be talking to you

dksix
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I would try Goop hand cleaner on the foam first. Goop desolves oil well and doesn't damage fabrics ( I've used it to get grease/oil out of clothing) then something like a swamwow or shammy to pull it out of the foam. IDK what to try on the vinyl cover, maybe a high grade uphostery cleaner.

tremulant3fr
11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
so i managed to take apart the seat after work the other day. looks like the foam is actually still in really good condition. no flaking, no moisture trapped in it which i thought was really weird. the cover on the other hand is a different story. the back half can essentially stand on its own the front half of the cover is still soft. im still trying to figure out what im going to use to clean the cover and if i should even bother trying to clean the foam

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/DSC01412.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/DSC01416.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u12/Tremulant3fr/DSC01417.jpg

jb104
11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I just put on a desert seat and still have the original but it is an 85
It is in excellent condition 25 bucks and you can have it.

tremulant3fr
11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
any pics of the seat? also what is a desert seat?

jb104
11-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I can't get a picture right now but it looks identical to yours no rips,tears, or blemishes just says 250R not atc. A desert. seat is about 2 or 3 inches thicker than stock seat foam. It is sweet if your tall.My legs were a little cramped with the stock height.

tremulant3fr
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
oh awesome yah im vertically challenged a desert seat wouldent be a wise purchase ha. but ill definitely message you soon about the seat gonna have to wait till payday but ill definitely take it off your hands if its in the condition you say it is.

jb104
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
oh awesome yah im vertically challenged a desert seat wouldent be a wise purchase ha. but ill definitely message you soon about the seat gonna have to wait till payday but ill definitely take it off your hands if its in the condition you say it is.

When I get a chance I'll you some pics. Where do you live? I am in the bay area

tremulant3fr
11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
i live in socal close to big bear. were almost neighbors