PDA

View Full Version : 200 es how to test cdi and stator

p4pumpman
11-09-2010, 01:16 PM
hey guys ! i just want to say how much i love this site . ive been riding atc's since i was a kid in the 80s i luv em .

i have bought a 1984 honda 200 es , its elec start ,shaft drive and has hi lo and rev .

the guy i bought it from said it would run good then when he shut it off it wouldnt start back .

when i got home it fired up and ran for about 10 min then i shut it off and i fired it back up no problem. i went to go start it the next day it wouldnt start at all so i started trouble shooting it . i found it wasnt getting spark so i started checking leads and grounds , ive sanded the connections on the frame,coil and battery .

ive swaped coils off another cycle that runs so i know the coil is good .i removed the green wire from the ground on the coil and it started sparking again but what is messed up is that it was sparking fine when i un hooked it and the trike fired up smoothly and i shut it off and went to smoke and come back it wouldnt spark even with the wire unhooked . i wanted to pull my hair out . i even pulled my stator to inspect it . it looked fine (by the way thats the first stator ive ever seen that sets in a oil bath like that ). ive tried a new plug too .

i just need to know how or what wires i need to check on my stator and how to check my cdi box with a ohm meter .

if you guys have any other suggestion on what it could be let me know

i love to wrench but when i spend this much time on a ignition problem it makes me want to be couch potato .

thanks for all your help

MonroeMike
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Section 15.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/Honda%20200ES%20Big%20Red%201984%20CD.pdf