PDA

View Full Version : What bike/trikes have desirable parts for the YT175? Manual clutch/higher comp/forks?

200XMichigan
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I picked up a parts trike the other day for $53. Engine in a box, looked like it was sitting outside forever. But it had good foot pegs and my YT175 was near perfect except the foot pegs where bent and then straightens and broke the other day out riding. So I got the parts trike home and have decided to bring it back to the trail and make a frankentrike out of it. I am wondering what other Yamaha engines would bolt in, if any? There is a big pile of old Yamaha dirt bikes down at the junk yard. There is also a YTM200. That if I am right the forks will bolt on from?

Also what hubs have the same spline pattern as a YT175, the parts trike didn't come with hubs or rear wheels.

Vealmonkey
11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
There are several engines that will bolt in, but won't work. Dirt bikes have narrower frames and the way the wheel is centered in the swingarm, it takes a narrow transmission shaft to work. A yt175 takes a wider bearing carrier and the rear sprocket sits farther out from the trike centerline that a motorcycle rear sprocket does. So what happens is, the dirt bike engine has a sprocket that is too narrow and won't line up with the trike rear sprocket. Also the ytm200 front end doesn't just bolt right on. You have to cut and machine a yt175 steering stem from the yt175 triple tree. Then you have to cut and machine the steering stem out of the ytm200 triples. Then you have to weld the ytm175 stem into the ytm200 lower triple. Then it bolts right on. LOL So to just say it again, a mx175 and a dt175 engine of 1977 and 1978 years will bolt right in to your yt175, they just won't work cause the sprockets won't line up. And the ytm200 triple trees won't bolt on without machine work and welding. But this is explained in my Pro Tec suspension yt175 thread.
So the question originally in your posting, doesn't match up real well with what you posted above. I can answer your original question, but it won't have much to do with what you have written above though.

200XMichigan
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Well you basically did answer my question, no dirt bike engine will bolt up and be functional and the forks don't bolt up. But some parts are compatible off of the MX175 and DT175.

Vealmonkey
11-09-2010, 04:05 PM
To answer your original question better. You can use a top end off of an 77-78 it175. It has way bigger ports and better port timing than a stock yt175. Also you can use the manual clutch parts off the 77-78 mx175, dt175 and possibly the it175, but not 100% sure of the
it175. This will give you a manual shift yt175. You could also use the kick starter parts off the mx175 and the dt175 if you wanted a kick starter, but you would probably have to remove the rear fenders to kick start the trike since it's a rear kicking- kickstarter. Also if you are using the it175 top end parts, if you could find a DG gold radial head, it would work with the it175 top end as well. And if you mod the ytm200 front forks with the yt175 steering stem, you can use the ytm200 front end. That better answers your original question. But nothing from any other bike just bolts on and will work without mods. LOL

200XMichigan
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
That's exactly what I needed to know. I also found a 3rd 175 engine today and a mint set of fenders and body work within 15 miles. The plan is to stash away the extra mint fenders and as much of the parts I can off the extra YT175 and use as much from the junk yard as I can to resurrect a kick start, manual clutch YT175 that will use the beat up fenders trimmed down. Well I'll see soon if luck is on my side at the junk yard. Then I can have a nice clean YT175, big stash of parts and a trike that uses mostly all parts from bike and trikes that have been left for dead.