PDA

View Full Version : how much $ to powder coat a frame?

swampthang
11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Im searching around for a place to have my tri-z frame powder coated. I contacted one place today and they quoted me a price that they said was on the high end of the spectrum so worst case senario id know how much $ to expect. They told me around 30 minutes of sandblasting time which an hour is $90 and about $175 for the power coating if they had a color i wanted on hand, if they had to order it more of course. i asked if they had bolts to thread into the holes and they told me they had plugs or could put tape over them to keep them clean. What have you guys payed to get a frame done and what should i ask and expect.:wondering Im going to call some more shops tomorrow to get some more ideas.

dksix
11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I charge $125 to strip, pre treat and coat a trike/dirt bike sized frame in single stage and $150 to $200 for multi stage finishes.

NOS_350X
11-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I have about 10 Pc shops 30 minutes from me. Just a bare frame should be from 75-150 thats blasting it too. The funny part is the guys that do them for 75 actually has the best quality. Thats the rates around here.

dcreel
11-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Around here we've been quoted $400 to powdercoat a frame, swinger, triple trees, and fork lowers. The shipping would be a killer to ship them somewhere else, not to mention the probable damage that could happen during the return trip.

PAPA250r
11-08-2010, 11:48 PM
lol dont come to new york city and price powder coating ! id give a testical to have a frame powder coated for 75 bucks around here !

Iprefer3
11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Why not just have it painted with hardner added?

audioworks04
11-09-2010, 12:26 AM
My buddy just paided 220 to have his banshee frame powdered here. This was just in a single stage black that the company runs all the time...so price goes up as the color does. As for why do powder over a two stage paint, powder is much harder and thicker, which leads to better longevity and resistance to scratches.

bigbadktm
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
i paid $250 for a 2 stage powder on a KTM frame, foot pegs, shock spring, and side covers for the motor. sand blasting incl.

Xpress
11-09-2010, 12:52 AM
A local shop gave me a quote of $185 to do my T3's frame, and bundle deals are better, and was told i'd be looking at around $350-$400 to get my T3 and X frame, all 4 trees, and handle bars blasted then powder coated a 50% gloss black.

Tecate 50
11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Just sent you a PM

swampthang
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I had no clue what the going price was. My goal is to find a shop that will blast and coat my frame,swinger,pegs,triples,radiator mounts,and kicker for $250 or less. Im going to do some more calling around again today.

yooperman
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
i'm getting my 350x frame, swing and head light gaurd done here at a shop in west monroe LA. for the sand blasting of everything and solid colors the guy is charging me 200 smackers i thought well i think its a decent deal lol. since i really dont know much about powder coating. on a plus not should be done on monday so the beast can go back together.

pantera1975
11-13-2010, 06:32 PM
The place 10 minutes from me quoted me $150 to do the frame and all the red part I have I have to buy the red materal which is $100 that he will keep and is enough for 3-5 frames and also any black items he will just do since they always spray black. I have to have it all blasted which I can do at my work for free. And he will gaurentee it to last a long time. I could go further for less $ but it all in the end evens out.

dksix
11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Does any of the shops you all have dealt with do any kind of pre treatment? I use LiquidGuard PC which works equally well on steels and aluminum. Most of the better shops will use an IP (Iron Phosphate) on steel or a sodium bi-floride for aluminum, I couldn't afford the dual set up is why I went with the LiquidGuard PC. On something like an off road frame, chipping is eventually going to happen the the pretreat will help prevent rust and the damage that comes with it in the surrounding area. Another thing: Sand is about the worse media that you could use for PC prep (glass bead should be avoided too). Silica in sand can impede adhesion and the round glass beads doesn't leave the proper surface texture to achieve maximum adhesion.